Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » If you visited a library or bookshop, which category of books would you be most likely to take home?

If you visited a library or bookshop, which category of books would you be most likely to take home?

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

It depends on my mood.

usually fantasy, though.
      February 3, 2017 12:29 AM MST

• I like a good fantasy, Luna. When I was a kid it was tales of Aladdin and Ali Baba and vocs and flyuing carpets and magic lamps. Never lost the love of them. 
      February 3, 2017 3:09 AM MST

Humorous memoirs
      February 3, 2017 3:12 AM MST

• It takes a rare gift to write those. Good fun. 
      February 3, 2017 3:50 AM MST

I like those "Hidden history" books, including (non-fiction) historical detective stories.

When I was (much) younger, you could still visit, virtually unchanged, the scene of every "Jack the Ripper" murder. (The scene of the last and particularly gruesome murder was briefly a fish and chip shop!) There are new books on that every year.

We are also blessed in Great Britain to have a lot of "history in the landscape", with a history that includes the Romans, the Saxons, the Celts, the Normans, the industrial revolution. 

There are three iron age hill forts within 15 miles of where I live, and other pre-historic fortifications. I live near to the Icknield Way, possibly the oldest road in Europe. (I have books on the Icknield Way that are over 100 years old!)

I still have a LOT of reading to do, and perhaps one day again, a little writing.

February 3, 2017 3:42 AM MST

• The one thing I miss in Australia is a sense of history. I envy those people who can walk where the greats of the past have walked, or see the works they've left behind. For anybody with half a soul it's gotta be a wonderful experience. Still, I have a Scots friend who grew up in Edinburgh and, as a child, rarely even looked at the castle. As a man, and no longer living in Scotland, he realises just how significant it is. 

But "hidden history": have you ever read anything by Australian author Thomas Keneally? Brilliant writer. Perhaps his best known book was Schindler's Ark (a better name than the movie Schindler's List). His research is impeccable. 

When I saw your name come up I expected you to say Terry Pratchett.
      February 3, 2017 3:56 AM MST

Yes, I like Pratchett too, but somehow, I don't go searching the books out (having virtually all of them already helps).
    I haven't, to my shame, read anything by Keneally (but memory allowing) I'll get something out by him on the next trip to the library.
      February 3, 2017 4:05 AM MST