Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why does religious freedom have more clout than political? How is that fair?

Why does religious freedom have more clout than political? How is that fair?

Hobby Lobby gets to deny employees things it does not approve of due to religious beliefs. Cal-Berkeley students rioted because they did not want an ALT RIGHT WHITE racist to peddle his hateful political beliefs. I don't understand the difference.  You have a right NOT to be forced to do something that goes against your religious  beliefs. Why don't you have the right to NOT be forced listen to something that goes against your political beliefs when that something is a someone who is all about hate, hate, hate and more hate?

Posted - February 3, 2017

Responses

• Here's the deal.  Colleges are meant to be places of ideas and the flow of them.  Good and bad.  They are not meant to be safe places or homes away from homes and by trying to be those they are in fact failing at their primary goal.
    Second, no one has to listen to him. They can just not go. A better solution than pushing the vile speaker away, go to the talk as a dissident and use your first hand experience to bust the BS bubble.
    Sweeping it under the rug really has no purpose or useful effect.

Hobby Lobby is a private business and private property.  Just because they are open to the public doesn't ( or at least shouldn't) be forced to cater to things they are against. Regardless of how stupid and moronic it is.
    Private business should be a right, not a privilege in a truly free society.

Being someone who doesn't much care for Milo's opinions and someone who has a loathsome view of religions and religious doctrines. It's hard for me to defend the rights of Hooby Lobby and Milo.  Yet that's how liberty works. Sometimes you got to defend those you really don't like and oppose.
    Yet we all know you don't want to have an actual conversation or dialogue about it.   Now do you? This isn't actually meant as a question now is it?

February 3, 2017 7:57 AM MST

Well stated.
      February 3, 2017 8:14 AM MST

• I tend to believe that the harder you try and silence something instead of tackling it's logic and merit the more power you give it.  Silencing them gives credence to them. It removes the ability to tackle the ideology and counter it in any meaningful way. So that actually weakens your own cause in the end.
    You're making a martyr out of your enemy in the end.
      February 3, 2017 8:31 AM MST

I agree.
      February 3, 2017 8:40 AM MST

I shall not disabuse you of what you think of me since frankly Scarlett I don't give a dam*. Thank you for your reply. Anything I say won't matter will it? You already have all the answers don't you??
      February 4, 2017 4:32 AM MST

• Nah, just been repeatedly insulted and had had passive-aggressive snide remarks hurled at me so many  times from you when I don't goosestep to your specific focus. So I just stopped expecting much in terms of actual discussion or idea exchange.
    You've made it clear 1000 times before you just want to be stroked and own the boards.
      February 4, 2017 8:13 AM MST

Rosie, I don't either because there is no difference.  I agree.
      February 3, 2017 8:15 AM MST

Precisely Sharonna although of course the usual suspects do not agree with thee and me. Who cares? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      February 4, 2017 4:33 AM MST

Yes.  WHO CARES?  LOLOLOL

There seem to be about 5 people on here with any level of sanity left.
      February 4, 2017 8:35 AM MST

Hello again, Rosie:

The key here is NOT what you say, but WHERE you say it.  In this country, there ARE places where there's NO free speech, and there's places where there is..  I believe a publicly supported university IS such a place..

excon

February 4, 2017 8:46 AM MST