Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Would you rather work all day on your feet or on your butt?

Would you rather work all day on your feet or on your butt?

Posted - February 3, 2017

Responses

Between the two methink my gluteus maximus.
      February 3, 2017 9:28 PM MST

It depends on the job. If I were a construction worker, I'd imagine that working in a chair would be quite difficult. And If I were an office worker, I wouldn't enjoy being on my computer stood up. 
      February 3, 2017 9:28 PM MST

Come on now. You're not taking the question seriously. Why not?
      February 3, 2017 9:31 PM MST

You're not taking my answer seriously. Why not?

Like I said. It depends on the job. 
      February 3, 2017 9:34 PM MST

You answer as if you don't know the spirit of the question.
      February 3, 2017 9:35 PM MST

.. and in another way you're taking something literally that perhaps is intended to be taken seriously.
      February 3, 2017 9:37 PM MST

I do think literally, yes. Can't help that. 
      February 3, 2017 9:42 PM MST

There you have it.
      February 3, 2017 9:48 PM MST

• "Standing Up" ... I've done both and working on your butt isn't all it's cracked-up to be! (pardon the pun)

February 3, 2017 9:37 PM MST

Neither.  I say neither.

Remember who you are talking to.   You do anything to the body that long without stretching and modifying the position you are holding for hours, like standing, or sitting and you are going to be in a world of pain sooner or later.  We are not meant to hold our muscles in one position for a long period of time like that.

Fatigue sets in, there is no circulation going from heart to stretched muscle and you start to tax the wrong muscles to hold up your legs, back, neck, or if sitting the whole deep hip rotators are going to go down the tubes because you are stretching muscles that need to be relaxed for too long.

Stay tuned for more massage therapy.

No charge.
      February 3, 2017 9:47 PM MST

Neither.  I prefer and have nearly always done very physical jobs that require a variety of positions and keep me moving.
      February 3, 2017 10:13 PM MST

• I've done both but these days I think I'd rather sit. 

One time I spent a month on crutches and used office chairs to scoot around. The efficiency varies according to the type of chair. The big executive chair with padding, arms, and wheels is a bit like trying to drive through traffic in an old Morris Minor while the trim, slim, typing chair is the Ferrari of office chairs. Give me one of those and you'd better keep out of the way as I come gliding through. 

Pity the office didn't come with banked corners. It might have saved me a couple of spills. 
      February 3, 2017 10:56 PM MST

• Answering this question deadly seriously :P In truth consensus seems to be that moving around is better for you physically.. as in an active job.. but that may not necessarily be the case with standing up, if you are just standing still all day.  We are told sitting down all day is very bad for us too...
    So my deadly serious answer is... I'd prefer sitting to standing, simply cos standing may not necessarily mean you are active or moving around and believe me just standing around for ages and on your feet all day is very painful :(
      February 4, 2017 3:03 AM MST