Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you hurry and correct edit spelling errors because you don't want to look stupid? Or leave it and say whatever?

Do you hurry and correct edit spelling errors because you don't want to look stupid? Or leave it and say whatever?

I hate it when I make an obvious spelling mistake and it takes forever for the edit thing bottom to load and let me fix it.
I particularly hate it when the.autocorrect messes up the verb tenses and makes you sound like a toddler, and you end up with, "All your base is belong to us". . . or something

I was looking at how many comments have been edited. I wonder how many of those have been edited in a rush due to "don't want to look dumb" errors, like mine.

Do you correct or do you forget?

Posted - February 4, 2017

Responses

• Don't want to look dumb, I'm with you. But then you feel like your dumbness has been highlighted by a big 'this has been edited because the author is, well, dumb!! kinda thing.
    It's a tightrope precariously crossed. )
      February 4, 2017 3:50 AM MST

• I rather look at it like they think im too edgy, too controversial and I have to constantly edit my posts.because im on a constant battle against censorship. Not that I can't spell rite.
      February 4, 2017 4:00 AM MST

• Alright then. It's just me.
      February 4, 2017 4:01 AM MST

• Of course it's not just you. )
      February 4, 2017 4:05 AM MST

• Too late for encouragement. Sniff. I wanted to be seen to be edgy too, now I've blown that. Sniff.
      February 4, 2017 4:07 AM MST

• Im sure everybody knows how edgy you are. The edgiest, . . Edgyest?. . . The most edgy, there you go...;)
      February 4, 2017 4:13 AM MST

• I accept your niceness, as always of course of course.
    (You know that I really want to f*ck this up so I can edit it ;) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 4, 2017 6:36 AM MST
      February 4, 2017 4:15 AM MST

edgy ‎(comparative edgier, superlative edgiest)..Sorry---couldn't resist.
      February 4, 2017 10:52 AM MST

• (try)
      February 4, 2017 11:21 AM MST

• Well dearest Lucia, after all answers have been tabulated, the only too people that correct out of not wanting to look simple, is us. . .us? . . .we? . .you and I.  )
      February 4, 2017 3:25 PM MST

• You and me, yes. Or is that no, me and you. Us will do fine. )
      February 5, 2017 2:28 AM MST

• Hehe
    that's alright.
      February 4, 2017 3:22 PM MST

• I'd rather be perfect but experience has told me that I'm not. My spelling and grammar are pretty good and even my typing isn't bad but it's surprising how many errors creep into my posts. Well, surprising to me, anyway. 

If I see them I usually fix them -- especially with a blog post which has a greater life expectancy than an answer to a question/topic -- but I'm not too fussed as long as the meaning is clear.

I also don't mind bending the rules -- heck, sometimes I kick them to death -- if there's a reason to do it.
      February 4, 2017 3:58 AM MST

• Yeah, but why, why do you fix them, is it a matter osf aesthetics, just good form, or is.it because you don't want people to think that you can't spell correctly?
      February 4, 2017 4:22 AM MST

• I could claim that both of those things have a part in it but, basically, it's just a form of OCD. I like to get things right. 

If somebody judges my intelligence on spelling, grammar, syntax and typos it probably means they haven't paid much attention to the content of my post. Idiot or not, that's where the real clues lie.
      February 4, 2017 4:27 AM MST

• I don't know, it maybe an automatic reflex. . . If I have to choose a partner for Jeopardy between two guys, and one of them comes at me with yo, yo, yo, as opposed to some one who speaks a little more correcter, I'd probably choose the latter. 
    I may be wrong, but I would assume a certain level of intelligence depending on how the talk or right. Im not saying im right, im only saying that's what I do.
    Thank you Mr D. That's a good point.
      February 4, 2017 3:34 PM MST

I feel compelled to edit any spelling errors, typos or awkward phrasing on my own posts and I often wish I could do it on other members' posts. It has nothing to do with not wanting to appear stupid. It's more like how some people, like my brother, need to have every item on their desk lined up just so.
      February 4, 2017 5:45 AM MST

You are SO hot when you talk to me like that, Jane S!
    ~
      February 4, 2017 9:50 AM MST

• I.am the same as.your brother. I feel a messy desk is the.beginning of.a.slippery slope that can only lead to.perdition and prostitution.  Well not really, but kinda.
    You know? I play chess regularly and sometimes when im not looking, some guy would make my knights look to the.side, or backwards. It irritates me to no end. I always catch it tho.
    Thanks Ms Jane.
      February 4, 2017 11:09 AM MST

• I used to make my knights march forward, too. Now I let them be as sloppy as they like as long as they're keep an eye open for opportunities. You never know with knights, sometimes they might want to jump back before leaping forward -- something like a soccer player passing the ball back to a team mate. :) 
      February 4, 2017 1:32 PM MST

• The pieces have to be exactly in the center of the square. And the knights facing forward. Which is obviously impossible. So I spend an inordinate amount of time fixing them. Because if I didn't I'd lose. Obviously.
      February 4, 2017 3:28 PM MST

• You'll lose a lot of games on the touch/move rule unless you shout j'adoube first. 
      February 4, 2017 5:05 PM MST

When I play, I'm too busy with the position to notice the angle the knights are at. I might notice a badly off-centre piece though and insist on a j'adoube.  
      February 5, 2017 7:44 AM MST

• I will edit some things because if I mess up with my grammar or spelling? Randy D will sure tell me about it! LOL. I do look up words I'm not sure of the spelling but I'm sure not perfect at punctuation. I'll let Randy D correct me and that's fine with me! LOL
      February 4, 2017 6:42 AM MST