Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you hurry and correct edit spelling errors because you don't want to look stupid? Or leave it and say whatever?

Do you hurry and correct edit spelling errors because you don't want to look stupid? Or leave it and say whatever?

I hate it when I make an obvious spelling mistake and it takes forever for the edit thing bottom to load and let me fix it.
I particularly hate it when the.autocorrect messes up the verb tenses and makes you sound like a toddler, and you end up with, "All your base is belong to us". . . or something

I was looking at how many comments have been edited. I wonder how many of those have been edited in a rush due to "don't want to look dumb" errors, like mine.

Do you correct or do you forget?

Posted - February 4, 2017

Responses

• So why do you correct again?
    Seems like everybody's got a more elevated reason for correcting their mistakes than I do. Do you correct the mistakes on notes you write around the house that nobody will see? 
    What is the purpose of a "nice, properly, punctuated punctuation " if not for others to see. 
    Btw, I do agree with the Jose Blow part of your comment.
    Thanks Sharonna, long time no see.
      February 4, 2017 9:35 AM MST

As some of you have read my posts, you have seen most of them have been edited by me after I have posted.  I have a tendency to jump the gun and hit the enter button.  Proofing is not my forte'.  I'm not sure what that says about my writing technique.  I do know I like to participate and have my suggestions/answer read before people loose interest in the question at hand.  Like this one, for example, is probably long forgotten and chances of you coming back and reading this entry are minimal.  That, I do believe, is why some people mistakenly leave mishaps in their posts.  They are in a hurry to grab your attention before you move on.
    Also, in due respect to brilliant people, most of us don't think of ideas formulated in complete sentences.  We think of a suggestion. We make the decision to share it. We post.  Then, the English Language, grammar, and over-all proper communication tactics heighten.  In my mind, they are the last to step up to the plate. This post was edited by Merlin at February 4, 2017 11:52 AM MST
      February 4, 2017 10:22 AM MST

Thank you Randy D for coming back and reading. :) :)
      February 4, 2017 10:33 AM MST

• I do the same. Sometimes I get so into.an answer that I hit send before I notice some atrocity left behind. Then im like ,"Damm it" 
    One day I was talking to a.person from eastern Europe and we were talking about Yugoslavia. My auto correct thought that maybe what ieant was, "your good labia", and that's what it sent, . . .then my tablet died. 
    I do agree strongly with your last thought. . .we don't think like we.write.  we think in fragmented.ideas that the tongue puts together to the best of our abilities in order to make ourselves understood.
    Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don't.
    Thanks Merlin, that's a real good answer.
    (Btw, I know.im using real incorrectly. I know the correct adverb form is really. But I like how.real sounds. Just saying ) )
      February 4, 2017 10:50 AM MST

I am laughing so hard, I'm bouncing silently in my chair.  I can barely type!!!  That is hilarious!!  Auto correct can... and will prove to be.... your Worst Enemy.  However, if the recipient of the mistakes has any sense of humor at all, it can prove to be a great way to break a heated a conversation.  As I recall, it did so at the most unforgiving times.
    Over on Ask.com, I used auto correct for a while. Sometimes, it was to my advantage; but, most of the time it had me back pedaling trying to explain my outrageously off-the-wall-answer.
    If you can, my friend, see if you can turn it off.  Your personal mistakes are much less painful than what auto correct might do for your writing ego.  It was for me, anyway.
    You are a great writer all on your own.  It's good to see you again and thanks for your input.  If I don't see you again, have a great day.  I'm off to make french toast and eggs for brunch.. Take Care!  :) :)

I had to edit because I left out the word wall in off-the-wall-answer.  What a bozo I can be at times!  See ya soon! :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at February 4, 2017 11:31 AM MST
      February 4, 2017 11:30 AM MST

• I'm am glad you liked it. Enjoy your toast! 
    Thanks. )
      February 4, 2017 5:03 PM MST

• "I edit because I have enough trouble with written communication without making it even harder for the recipient."
    Edited or unedited ... your secret is out (thanks to the editing flag).
      February 4, 2017 10:36 AM MST

Precision in thought is often reflected in an accompanying precision in grammar.

Language does evolve; but if the evolution is too rapid we lose the comprehension that the current structure provides and are too subject to vagaries in understanding.

When I say "If I were" rather than "If I was," those who understand what each form of the verb suggests know precisely what I am saying.

If I am building a bookshelf out of wood, 1/16th of an inch is adequate precision; if I am building a motor, 1/10000th of an inch is necessary for a acceptable outcome.

I have a high regard for how proper grammar can facilitate accurate communication.
      February 4, 2017 10:49 AM MST

• I think it is just a matter of personality. Nothing more. There is a type of personality that likes that kind.of pickiness, and you know, I think that's great. 
    If I was having brain surgery, I would surely appreciate someone like you. I certainly wouldn't want to hear thru the anesthesia, "you don't have.it? It's alright, ill just Jerry rig something up, real.quick".
    On the other hand, and since you bring it up, did you know that you have.a whole fourth of an inch to play with in all the.measurements that went into building your house? A whole fourth of an inch. 
    In your example,"I was vs I were". Im sure that everybody would understand what's being said, regardless of the choice chosen.
    Do you not think it is a personality issue, rather than an intrinsic value of grammar rules themselves?
      February 4, 2017 10:58 AM MST

lol on the anesthesiologist.

Didn't know the tolerances on the house, but I should have guessed given the importance of the "punch and go" crew.

I think personality is certainly a factor.  And I generally prefer to have the "proper" tool for the job---orbital sander, belt sander, finish sander; so obviously precision in general is a feeling I do get a great deal of satisfaction from.   

On the other hand, when i was in high school, I would occasionally challenge my Latin teacher about her use of the subjunctive...Those interchanges gave me an appreciation for the subtleties inherent and available in grammar construction.

To the extent that I am a "craftsman," I guess I have chosen and modified my "grammar tools" as carefully as I would have done with my tools in any other project.

Regards...
      February 4, 2017 11:21 AM MST

• I understand. 
    I do admire those who can weave words in a way th a makes them beautiful, . . . Or words that I call indivisible words. . . Words that you can only describe but not define. .like hope. . Or love. .you know?. . 
    You know what I think is pretty amazing? 
    When newscasters have to turn three minutes talking about Byonce s twins, into an interesting conversation. Non stop. I think, "that's why this guy gets paid that much, it is not about this woman's twins at all"
    You know what I mean?
      February 4, 2017 3:18 PM MST

Yes
      February 4, 2017 3:51 PM MST

If I may interject, assigning it as a personality trait is closely akin to assigning it to intelligence. Not all people of a particular level of intelligence interact with other people in the exact same way when it comes to grammar. Equally, not all people of particular personalities interact with other people in the exact same way when it comes to grammar. 
    If you have an opinion about grammar that differs greatly from another person's opinion on it, that doesn't make either one of you better than the other, nor does it mean one of you is right and the other is wrong. 
    Lago, you've stated your perspective on grammar-related issues in this string, and you've made it clear that you have a less stringent viewpoint than someone such as myself has, for instance.  That doesn't mean that your personality is good and that mine is bad. It doesn't mean that you're more sane than I am, or that I am more sane than you are. 

Some people with personality traits that you share have different opinions about grammar than you have, and some do not. 
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at February 4, 2017 2:04 PM MST
      February 4, 2017 11:22 AM MST

• I understand Randy, you are right. My assigning a personality trait to it, does not imply a negative connotation. Not at all. 
      February 4, 2017 3:20 PM MST

Thank you, Lago. 
    ~
      February 4, 2017 5:00 PM MST

I check everything before I click "reply". Try Grammarly.
      February 4, 2017 1:35 PM MST

• What is that Z?
      February 4, 2017 3:04 PM MST

It's a grammar and spell checker for either Firefox or Google Chrome.
      February 4, 2017 4:42 PM MST

Lago,a very interesting question indeed! No, I let my thoughts run, my questions and answers are spontaneous, no  one makes mistakes on purpose,a few tend to forget that Answer mug is a site wherein you express opinions freely they either become obsessssed with one subject or focus on others mistakes or keep a personal dialogue throughout. It's ok, after all we are a diverse group each with his or her own interest. I come here to relax and try to spread some cheer,if I succeed good if not then I'll keep on trying;)) This post was edited by Veena.K at February 4, 2017 5:45 PM MST
      February 4, 2017 2:10 PM MST

• I like that V, that's alright.

February 4, 2017 3:04 PM MST

I never make spelling mistakes, but if I hurry too much I make typos, which I then have to correct.

Case of more haste, less speed.

February 4, 2017 4:37 PM MST

• Why not just leave them? Who cares ? No?
    Thanks for responding btw.
      February 5, 2017 8:35 AM MST

If you have spell check, you understand that you may not be saying what you meant to say. I try to correct my mistakes. Many times, I overlook some, thinking, there is no way I said that. If I correct it, fine. If not, I don't worry about it. And, no. I don't feel stupid if I don't catch mistakes. Writers write. Editors correct mistakes. I'm a writer. 
      February 4, 2017 5:00 PM MST

• It is not about you feeling stupid, it is about not wanting others to think you are.
    I contend that the only reason, regardless of what most have said, for us to go back and fix errors, is because of the judgement of others. 
    I don't think people are as eager to fix a note to themselves as they are when the writing is meant for someone else. 
    You say, if you correct them, good but if you dont, that's ok too. But. . .why do you correct to begin with?
    ---
    Wow, you are a writer?! That's alright! There's quite a few writers around here.
    What kind of stuff do you write, Marguerite?

February 5, 2017 8:32 AM MST

I try to correct them.
      February 4, 2017 5:39 PM MST