Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Can one bad apple really ruin a barrel or is that just an old wives' tale?

Can one bad apple really ruin a barrel or is that just an old wives' tale?

Posted - February 4, 2017

Responses

• Yes! One bad apple can ruin the whole barrel! I've seen it on other sites and just recently here , but that person quickly left. Not an old wives tale as I've seen it happen several times. It's a shame but the truth.
      February 4, 2017 8:17 AM MST

What about ACTUAL APPLES Rooster? Does that hold true as well for apples? As for your answer when I was on Answerbag some good AB friends were actually DRIVEN AWAY by bad apples.  I never understood why. Just ignore the jacka**es. Don't read what they post. See the name and move on.  If you don't read their crap you can't get angry or get hurt. They do not exist. I would NEVER let a jacka**y jerk drive me away from anything. But some folks just were unable to do that. They had to keep reading the crap and so after awhile they couldn't take it anymore. And the jacka**y jerks put another notch on their metaphorical pistols. Why give them what they want? Why make their day? I don't get it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 5, 2017 3:48 AM MST

• I just don't let any of that stuff bother me anymore. It has in the recent past but I wash my hands of the "bad apples"! LOL
      February 5, 2017 5:58 AM MST

Think about disease.  Think about cancer and what one malignant cell can do.  It is the same thing. 
      February 4, 2017 8:45 AM MST

Barrels are very big though Sharonna. I suppose the bad one gives off bad gases and if left long enough it can affect them all? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 5, 2017 4:00 AM MST

i know what you are saying, Rosie, but I am saying the power of one negative force can really impact everything.  Gas is invisible but it spreads just the same.
      February 5, 2017 7:30 AM MST

I have never seen it, but I did hear that it's true.
      February 4, 2017 10:46 AM MST

Barrels are pretty big. I guess the rotting/rotten apple gives off some kind of very bad gas but for it permeate an entire barrel and ruin tons of apples? Wow! :( Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 5, 2017 4:01 AM MST

When I buy onions I sniff the bag. If you can smell one bad the rest of the bag is doomed. Same for fish and meat.
      February 4, 2017 11:13 AM MST

Thanks for the handy hint Ele. The onions I buy (both white and red) are in small bags that hold about 6 and they are see-through mesh so you can actually see each onion. They also have bins of individual onions but they are usually huge and I prefer the smaller ones.  I remember when we moved from L.A. to Massachusetts where we lived for 5 years all the fruits and veggies were already bagged so you couldn't really see what they looked like. In California all the fruits and veggies are out in bins so you can select each one. Some are bagged of course but why would you take a chance on that when you can make sure each one is good?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      February 5, 2017 4:05 AM MST

• The literal apple or the metaphorical one. I suppose either or the answer is yes, because of the idiom is leading and the actual fruit excretes gaseous hormones causing others to rot. It's unavoidable, for the other apples. 
      February 5, 2017 3:14 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpfully informative reply Lucia and Happy Sunday. I wonder if there are barrels of apples any longer? I guess that was a long time ago. :)
      February 5, 2017 4:06 AM MST