Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Computer gurus: What's my next step in removing sneaky malware?

Computer gurus: What's my next step in removing sneaky malware?

I have malware on my Windows 7 laptop that hijacks web pages and either inserts ads onto them or takes over the ads that are there. It also disables most of the page's functions.

Proior to this, I had not installed any new programs on my computer in months, though I was on a site looking up "Hamlet" quotes the other day and got one of those annoying pop ups that said I was infected. I closed the window and went on with life.

I run MacAffee and it didn't catch this. It still doesn't realize there's something there.

Because I use Chrome, I cleaned that. I also removed all cookies from the last week and all of my cache. Nada.

I ran Malwarebytes, which found and eradicated four files. I rebooted and enjoyed a couple hours of peace before the ad hijacker started again. Now, Malwarebytes sees nothing in repeated scans.

I deleted Chrome and switched to FireFox. Within about 5 minutes, the malware took FF over too.

I then switched to ESET scanner, which found and eradicated one file. I rebooted and the malware is still active. Repeated ESET scans show nothing.

i have researched every program, application, and process that's running. They all appear to be legit. I even started killing non-essential processes to see where the little b**tard might be hiding. No luck.

I'm about to throw my laptop through a window. What programs or checks should I try before I do that?

Posted - February 4, 2017

Responses

• That's macaffee for you! The big clunkers like Norton,Kaspersky and AVG will do things like that. I can't even remember how many of those I removed for people. My Defender works just fine along with Webroot. They both run daily scans.
      February 5, 2017 12:57 PM MST

•  You could try to restore it to an earlier date. I had a notebook that ran on Windows 7 and it was always getting maleware and viruses. I would do a system restore and that would usually take care of it. You only need to go back about a month. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 5, 2017 11:57 AM MST
      February 4, 2017 10:39 PM MST

I may have intentionally killed my partition when I set up my laptop in favor of more immediate working space. O_o I need to look at that.
      February 5, 2017 11:58 AM MST

I did try this... It was the built-in laptop partition I nuked, but the Windows one was still supposed to be good. I tried it from a few restore points and it always errored out, saying my antivirus was affecting it... even after I uninstalled every antivirus. Gah. I guess malware can sometimes do this though. Otherwise, it was  a good idea. Thanks.
      February 5, 2017 11:41 PM MST

• Sorry ti didn't work. Do you have anyone who can look at it for you?
      February 6, 2017 4:10 AM MST

I actually did a full refresh, rebuilding windows, and it still came back. I am waiting on calls back from Mcafee and Malwarebites.
      February 6, 2017 4:00 PM MST

• WOW!! That should have taken care of it. You got the Arnold Schwarzenegger of maleware. Sending warm happy thoughts to your computer.  
      February 6, 2017 4:37 PM MST