Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » I see many Answer muggers profiles set to 'private', what's the reason?

I see many Answer muggers profiles set to 'private', what's the reason?

Posted - February 4, 2017

Responses

I don't remember if I did with mine. I might have to avoid eventual stalkers to get an easy access to my profile. Reminiscent from my time at EP.
      February 4, 2017 2:06 PM MST

Umm tell me SapphicHeart, what can someone do if they have access to our profile? I don't know,it's a genuine enquiry.
      February 4, 2017 2:13 PM MST

Among others it gives access to an overview of all my posts, friends, and my wall. Back on EP these would be the places to attack and harass people. The last one would be in PM's. Those aren't open here for any other than friends. LIke said, reminiscent from my stay at EP. 
      February 4, 2017 2:20 PM MST

Oh I see,thank you SapphicHeart,I'm slowly getting the picture.
      February 4, 2017 2:22 PM MST

You're welcome to hit me up in chat at a time if you want more background on what went on at EP. No need to entertain all aM with that.
      February 4, 2017 2:28 PM MST

Oh ok,thanks again,SapphicHeart.
      February 4, 2017 2:31 PM MST

You're welcome.
      February 4, 2017 2:32 PM MST

they're private people? haha
    hiding behind a curtain, a veil?
    Scared of Yoga instructors
    that would tie them up in knots maybe. haha

February 4, 2017 2:06 PM MST

No Baba, I'm curious,rememer we never had this option on AB, if it's here,then there must be some reason. 
      February 4, 2017 2:15 PM MST

• IDK.   I have friends who always do it but never understood the point.  Personally I just never put anything on them that I would care about anyone knowing.
      February 4, 2017 2:13 PM MST

• Well second thought.  I can see doing it out of not wanting just anyone to post on their profile.  I never got why sites have that feature or why anyone chooses to use it.
      February 4, 2017 2:15 PM MST

I don't understand if we put any content on the webpage that means we want people to know, right?Umm since you edited....what they don't want to see posted? Please forgive my ignorance. This post was edited by Veena.K at February 4, 2017 2:18 PM MST
      February 4, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• Most sites allow people to post public msgs. on people's profiles.  You can here too but it's slightly hidden. People might make the profile private so random people can't post nasty things on it.

I've seen some people( not really here) who post things on profile descriptions that if it were me I wouldn't want totally public.
      February 4, 2017 2:26 PM MST

Public messages on people's profiles.....oh is that done? Oh, that sounds creepy,can anyone just post nasty things at random,that's terrible. Thank you Glis.
      February 4, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• I just randomly change my settings every now and then to confuse people because I can. It's like only using 10% of the available functionality in MS Word. If it's there, I'm using it. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 4, 2017 2:23 PM MST
      February 4, 2017 2:19 PM MST

Yeah I read something like 'now I see,now I dont' on your webpage...I get it now;))
      February 4, 2017 2:24 PM MST

• I always have my own pic on my profile and I always have an open profile. Yes I am aware there are bad people out there but I guess I am pretty confident in my safety.. they can't really hurt me so I don't care.. I respect those who need to hide a bit and be a bit anonymous but so far in over 20 years on the net I've never had a reason to hide... that's a good thing I think :)
      February 4, 2017 2:52 PM MST

Yes my thinking has been much the same as yours.. I have my profile open for people to read.. to my thinking it's a way for people to determine whether they think they have something in common with me or not. The thing I have found a little annoying is that while on live chat.. some guys jump on & immediately start blabbing on about my avatar.. I find that a little rude... but other that that there hasn't been an issue. 
      February 4, 2017 3:25 PM MST

Hi Daydreamer, you look nice;)) I am scared too to put my real pic as I'm very worried what type of elements are on the internet,annonymity is a necessity I guess. I'm happy youve had things going good for you on the net,touchwood!))
      February 5, 2017 4:32 PM MST

• "It might be the default setting."  I can't remember.
      February 5, 2017 4:37 PM MST