Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » If all bodies of water on earth froze and became a gigantic ice skating rink how long before the earth's population would die? Why?

If all bodies of water on earth froze and became a gigantic ice skating rink how long before the earth's population would die? Why?

Posted - February 5, 2017

Responses

Canadians and Siberians would take over.
      February 5, 2017 6:13 AM MST

then we would have hockey games and curling matches. It would be great!!
      February 5, 2017 9:14 AM MST

We could build igloos on the ice and live on our catches via ice fishing. 

Raw fish anybody? 
      February 5, 2017 10:52 AM MST

I don't know if humanity would become entirely extinct but vast numbers would die in a fairly short time, as would farm animals and crops, and wildlife. No rain to supply the vital water to them. No water, no food, no life.

If there's any comfort in the hypothesis, the Earth did go through something like such a phase in its early history but the cold phases of the latest / present Ice Age simply extended the frigid latitudes. However, a repeat of the last glacial would be extremely disruptive to humanity. At least such events do not happen over-night, and I doubt the next glacial is one to worry anyone alive now! Though those who will be alive then, won't be able to do anything but move to warmer latitudes.
      February 15, 2017 5:42 PM MST