Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Do you still use paper calendars?

Do you still use paper calendars?

Probably only old people use those. They can keep track of how much life they have with a paper calendar.

Posted - February 5, 2017

Responses

Every year, when I take down the Christmas decorations, there is a gap where last year's calendar was.

So I go out and buy another one for this year.... 

February 5, 2017 7:52 AM MST

• Yep. I have two, one in my kitchen and one in my office. I need to know, at a glance, if I have anything important coming up.
      February 5, 2017 7:53 AM MST

• Yes, I have a 365 Kittens A Year calendar on my wall.  I use it to post work shifts, birthday, anniversaries and such.  Plus I have two Page- A -Day calendars.   One has new word and its definition and the other an archaic word and definition.    I'm 55. 
      February 5, 2017 8:06 AM MST

• "Yes" ... every year, a business client sends me a free one. 
    I could throw it away, to keep from growing old, but silly me ... I keep it. :)
      February 5, 2017 8:08 AM MST

uh huh
    one in office
    small one in truck
      February 5, 2017 10:02 AM MST

I have a calendar with the little boxes for every day so I can make notes of certain events. So far, there is a concert coming up featuring Lou Gramm. 
      February 5, 2017 10:02 AM MST

• No....I haven't used a paper calendar in at least 4 years.....If my Iphone bit dust tonight I'd probably wonder around streets all of next week screaming ...." WHAT THE HECKS  AM I SUPPOSED DO TODAY??"  this is not okay. 
      February 5, 2017 1:37 PM MST

• Nay. Google does it for me. And, since everything on my Google calendar transfers automatically to my Samsung calendar I always have it on my phone.
      February 5, 2017 8:27 PM MST

Yes - and NOT because I am "old".

A paper calendar on the wall is quick, simple and direct. I don't need to switch on my computer or phone just to remind me or to make a note of a forthcoming event, or ensure I don't create clashes.

Don't get me wrong: the electronic version has its place, particularly if portable, but I've never found a place for it in my life despite a fairly busy social life. I do receive text appointment-reminders from my dentist and GP, but still have the appointments up on the wall-calendar for instant reference. Similarly with club and society events circulated by e-post: I will still write the date, venue and time on the wall calendar so I can refer to it at any time and instantly even when both PC and phone are switched off. No ferreting through files or accidentally deleting it.

I mentioned my social life. That includes group activities where having a shared paper calendar can often be a very useful resource even if individuals record the forthcoming events etc on their own 'phones or whatever. Everyone in the room at the time can look at a public calendar together. 

Because-I-Can or Because-It's-The Very-Latest is not a convincing substitute for Because-I-Need. 
      February 7, 2017 4:33 PM MST

never heard of them
      February 8, 2017 3:58 PM MST

Really? Seriously or kidding? The shops are full of 'em coming up to Christmas, with all manner of pretty picture themes!

I get a free calendar each year too, from a major charity of which I am a "Supporter" because it will be one of my benefactors! Which reminds me, I must find a calendar or wall-planner for one of my societies' meeting-rooms. The Committee circulates e-mail events-lists, but a wall-planner in the club premises is very useful for quick reference when members are discussing club & hobby-related events.

I'm still wondering if the "age-ist" remark in the OP is serious or kidding...
      February 9, 2017 2:49 PM MST