Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » With all the many apps has the smart phone become the modern Swiss army knife?

With all the many apps has the smart phone become the modern Swiss army knife?

Now look at the question and take seriously what is not meant to be taken literally.

Posted - February 5, 2017

Responses

• Being deadly serious, yes, I think a smart phone is, as you say, if not better. It's everything to everyone.. the more apps the better prepared you are :)
      February 5, 2017 11:29 AM MST

Nah, a Swiss Army knife is useful. Most apps are not.
      February 5, 2017 4:19 PM MST

• LOL complete and utter tosh.. I have an app that acts as a spirit level, now that's very useful, I used it to hang a picture at work, hmm I still got the pic wonky but the app worked fine :)  and, and, and I have an app that tells me the temperature anywhere in the world. I can scroll over a map of the world, click and it tells me the temp.. might be useful? Well how about the flashlight app? or is that a widget? even so.. and I have books on my phone, and memos, alarm clock, calculator, and a recording device, a car park finder, ooh and best of all.... I have a countdown until Trump's term is up :P 
      February 6, 2017 6:59 AM MST

Well, I know some pretty advanced math, so I can add 4 years to feb 20th 2017 in my head :-D
    And I doubt he will get a second term. Even Fox News think he is a fool.
      February 6, 2017 7:51 AM MST

• Oh.. so I take it you aren't impressed with my apps then :P I happen to be seriously rubbish at maths and I like the idea of counting down and seeing that at least some has gone already 
      February 6, 2017 8:10 AM MST

• Not only the Swiss Army Knife -- it has become the Amex credit card: we don't leave home without it. 
      February 5, 2017 6:03 PM MST

It can be used as a credit card. The technology is already here or in development. Purchase from your phone. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 5, 2017 8:44 PM MST
      February 5, 2017 8:34 PM MST

• Yep, I have that ability but prefer to stick with my existing credit cards.
      February 5, 2017 8:44 PM MST

It is easy enough.
      February 6, 2017 6:13 AM MST

im excited that chromebooks are getting android apps this year!!. more functionality, finally. 
      February 5, 2017 7:12 PM MST

• Yayyyy another tech lover :)
      February 6, 2017 7:00 AM MST

Not exactly a very good comparison, but still.

The Swiss Army Knife has one very obvious limit: its volume, so it can carry only a limited number of a limited range of tools.

The smart Phone is hardly "smart" except in looks, but like any Internet-linked computer, it is capable of handling a vast number and range of its equivalent of tools, even if some might need on-line operation to overcome internal memory limits.

February 15, 2017 5:27 PM MST