Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » I grew up knowing where Yugoslavia (Jugoslavia?) was...

I grew up knowing where Yugoslavia (Jugoslavia?) was...

Now that the component countries have separated so aggressively I wonder how they ever existed as a single nation. Do YOU understand their politics and racial hatred? 

Posted - February 6, 2017

Responses

• Sure is different now!
      February 6, 2017 2:38 PM MST

• The map certainly tells the story. I've met lots of migrants from that area (they're very keen on chess and I meet them at the tournaments), friendly, charming ... until, say, a Serb meats a Croation. Then fists may very well fly. 
      February 6, 2017 2:41 PM MST

• I know three brothers that are Croatian and boy do they all have a temper! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 6, 2017 3:05 PM MST
      February 6, 2017 2:43 PM MST

I think that Tito's force of personality (and other forms of force) held it all together. The disputes started shortly after his death, and the breakup started shortly after that.
    Silly people.
      February 6, 2017 2:44 PM MST

• I mentioned Thomas Keneally to you the other day. He wrote a book called "A Family Madness" in which he examined the suicide of an entire family (who lived about 10 km from my own home) because of something that happened in Belarus during WWII. Fascinating story and the first time I really got an insight into the Eastern European mind.

The Yugoslav states are a microcosm: a bit like Asimov's "Foundation" where Hari Seldon was able to work out his psychohistory. 
      February 6, 2017 2:56 PM MST

• A lot of intervening and manipulation by outside Empires combined with a clash of Catholic and Orthodox doctrine.
    Same reason Poles and Ukranians tend to not get along.
      February 6, 2017 3:10 PM MST

• I once asked a guy if he was Polish and he was offended. He was Hungarian. We became very close friends. I loved that old guy. I was sorry when we lost him. 
      February 6, 2017 8:11 PM MST

• Uh-oh.
      February 7, 2017 12:49 AM MST

• I've always wondered that myself... they seemed, to me, perfectly ok before that.. it was a popular holiday destination for Brits.. that's all I knew and I guess that was all we wanted to know.. but you cannot help but think it wasn't ever as simple as that.. 
      February 6, 2017 3:28 PM MST

• Centuries of racial hatred wound up like a spring. Once it was released it all came out.

In one of Tom Keneally's books he had a Belorussian trying to explain the value of history to an Australian footballer. "When the Turks wait with long knives for the Armenians to come out of the wine bars at Auburn, history can kill." I think that's what has happened in the Balkans.
      February 6, 2017 8:15 PM MST

I never understand hatred of any kind. i just was never raised with it. I still hope one day the human race will rise above those ill conceived notions that people of different cultures, ethnicities, or religions are actually different from them. The simple fact is we are all human and would love to be able to live amongst our neighbors without fear.
      February 6, 2017 4:16 PM MST

• You're lucky. My parents were racist and we were brought up the same way. It took me years to shed it all. I do NOT thank my parents for that legacy. My brother, who is too old now ever to change, is the most racist person I know. I prefer not to spend much time talking to him. It's simply too depressing.
      February 6, 2017 8:17 PM MST

• You're lucky. My parents were racist and we were brought up the same way. It took me years to shed it all. I do NOT thank my parents for that legacy. My brother, who is too old now ever to change, is the most racist person I know. I prefer not to spend much time talking to him. It's simply too depressing.
      February 6, 2017 8:17 PM MST

IN Yugoslavia there were Muslims, Catholics and Orthodox. In some places they coexisted well, but in others there were centuries old scores waiting to be settled.

As Plingsby says Marshal Tito held it together, but when he'd gone the Serbs (and some Croats) took the chance to use their guns.

The US got in on the act with the usual deleterious results. 
      February 6, 2017 5:33 PM MST

• Well summarised, Malizz. He's a clever fellow, Plingsby, Seriously. Much experience, much ability. 
      February 6, 2017 8:18 PM MST

Before we do TOO much mutual admiration - I suspect that we all know who has the REAL insights around here, I mainly have anecdotes to deliver. Occasionally, I'll answer a question as well. :)
      February 8, 2017 2:54 AM MST

• Anecdotes have relieved me from a lifetime of self-imposed silence. :(
      February 8, 2017 8:40 AM MST

• Two words .. Marshal Tito
      February 6, 2017 6:12 PM MST

• Seems to be the most agreed-upon answer. 
      February 6, 2017 8:19 PM MST

• Think Iraq  and saddam .... think Libya  abs gadaffi ... what do they ask have on common ... various groups Held together by fear
      February 7, 2017 3:25 AM MST

• Ps ... it seems the Americans never learnt anything from jugoslavia... shame really
      February 7, 2017 3:27 AM MST

no, i dont know much about them
      February 8, 2017 10:45 AM MST

I don't know so much about the politics. What i do know is that religion is right in the smack of things. How shameful! 

February 15, 2017 10:03 PM MST