Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Why do the dimwits from the county keep sending me delinquent tax notices for a mobile home I sold two years ago?

Why do the dimwits from the county keep sending me delinquent tax notices for a mobile home I sold two years ago?

When I did not send in a yearly tax listing for the mobile home the dimwits should have figured out I no longer have it. What will the dimwits do if I do not pay it? 

Posted - February 6, 2017

Responses

How are they suppose to know you sold it just because you didn't send in a tax listing? How do they know you just are not skipping sending it in? Maybe the new owners haven't sent in their paperwork. So send in a copy of the sale and let them contact the new owners. This post was edited by Gatorblu at February 6, 2017 5:05 PM MST
      February 6, 2017 2:50 PM MST

• You can't expect government to keep track of anything or communicate with each other for anything but how much money you it.
      February 6, 2017 3:00 PM MST

• If the title or deed, whichever is mandatory in your town, wasn't properly transferred, the county has no idea that you don't still own it. They could put a tax lien against the mobile home or possibly put it up for sheriff sale.
      February 6, 2017 3:24 PM MST

Did you pay for the years you did have it? Did you fill out the new tax Accessor form showing you no longer own the mobile home? 
    You should get it corrected some countries you have a limited time to correct the assessment or you are deemed liable. I believe they can place a lien on your property. 
      February 6, 2017 8:02 PM MST

At a minimum they can cause you a major legal headache at a maximum some jurisdictions impose a fee / penalty / fine what ever you wish to call it for not insuring the appropriate documentation is filed.
      February 7, 2017 4:21 AM MST

The new owner didn't register it and get his own title.  This can be a big problem for you, which is why a seller should always finalize a sale of titled property (cars, boats, mobile homes) at the court house and witness the new registration.  Why do people do this?  They don't pay initial taxes but more importantly, they do not want to be found.  Hopefully you kept a copy of your BOS. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 7, 2017 10:52 AM MST
      February 7, 2017 10:49 AM MST

maybe they dont know you sold it
      February 8, 2017 10:44 AM MST