Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » When referring to peanuts (or anything really, peanuts being my preference) placed in hot water, high temp. until done...

When referring to peanuts (or anything really, peanuts being my preference) placed in hot water, high temp. until done...

Dammit, still haven't gotten the hang of this dang site and it's wacky placement of statements and/or questions with accompanying qualifiers.  So how do you pronounce boiled peanuts?  Specifically the boiled part?  In the South it depends on where you're from as to whether they're bald or bold.  I guess up North...well, they don't eat peanuts like that but I suppose they'd say boyled.  What say you?  And while I'm on the topic do you eat said delicacy?  It's common to have them salted, Cajun seasoned, garlic flavored and more.  Of course beer is a given.  Like peanut butter and jelly with milk you gotta have beer with your peanuts.  Or for the youngsters they get a soda pop.  You know, Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola, etc.

Posted - February 6, 2017

Responses

• Are you asking what it's called?
    Boiling or steaming.

If just quickly dipped in then it's called blanching.
      February 6, 2017 4:27 PM MST

• The process is boiling (never heard of steaming peanuts).  My question I guess then is how is it pronounced where you come from?  Blanching is prepping for long term storage as I understand it.
      February 6, 2017 4:35 PM MST

• Ahh.   You didn't have the description when I answered so I didn't get exactly what you were asking.
      February 6, 2017 5:00 PM MST

• Dictionary.com says:  boiled [boild]
      February 6, 2017 4:31 PM MST

• So that would be pronounced similar to boy-oiled?  Florida, Georgia and Alabama go more toward the bald or bold pronunciation.  Just curious as to how ya'll folks in other parts of the country say it.
      February 6, 2017 4:38 PM MST

• Yes and that's the way I'd pronounce it ... boy-uled ... with an almost silent "e."

Good seeing you again, Rhondo.
      February 6, 2017 4:48 PM MST

• If you're in the south, it's bawled. Us yanks say boiled. Not sure about the folks in Bahsten.
    Just remember to change your awl frequently.
    HTH
      February 6, 2017 4:39 PM MST

• Lmao at the Bahsten.  Love it!  But then they probably have never heard of such a delight.
      February 6, 2017 4:41 PM MST

Had to think on this one   Boy-ild   at least that is as close as I can come.
      February 6, 2017 4:41 PM MST

I am from Florida and I say boyld. I don't eat them though. They're just warm slimy peanuts to me, but I will take the beer.
      February 6, 2017 5:04 PM MST

Oh man, someone made some serious fun of me for my pronunciation which, according to him, was bole.  I have corrected that now I think, I hope.  I won't ever forget this and how hard I laughed...............at me. 
      February 6, 2017 8:45 PM MST