Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » I need Bromide's expert opinion. Is this a "nice" collectors plate?

I need Bromide's expert opinion. Is this a "nice" collectors plate?

Posted - February 6, 2017

Responses

• LOL. Couldn't resist!
      February 6, 2017 5:47 PM MST

• Tom Knapp.

( actually I was kinda thinking of that. )
      February 6, 2017 5:53 PM MST

• He's good!
      February 6, 2017 5:56 PM MST

•   February 6, 2017 6:00 PM MST

I'm not Bromide but I like the plate. I don't collect plates of US presidents, though. (And I suspect I'm out of the loop on the "nice" word.)

But I have a complete Lizzie Borden plate collection! Yup -- there are such plates! Those ROCK! Nothing like an accused-and-acquitted double murder defendant on plates!
    ;)
      February 6, 2017 6:53 PM MST

• Can we see them
      February 6, 2017 11:15 PM MST

I haven't figured out a way to post still images on the site, yet. But maybe I'll try to at least post a link. There were only four plates in the collection. Maybe five. It's been a while since I've looked at them.
    :)

I think I got an image to post! Here is one of the plates. The little house in front of the plate is a miniature mock-up of the Borden home where the murders took place. I've always been interested in this murder case. The home is now a Bed-and-Breakfast Inn. I was the only guest in the entire house for the entire night the night I was there.

The plates are sort of small (nowhere near a full-sized dinner plate size) and actually quite nicely put together and tastefully designed.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 7, 2017 8:16 PM MST
      February 7, 2017 8:03 PM MST

• Thank you, Welby, for the time you took to do that. It's wonderful!
    I remember reading about Lizzie B many years ago, something about rancid stew making her employers sick prior to the axe whacking. The liitle model of the house is really giving that some vibe.
    How did you feel being alone in the house? I think I would keep very still. :)
      February 8, 2017 12:41 AM MST

You're welcome. Lucia!
    Actually, when I arrived to the house, after years and years of reading books, articles, watching documentaries all about the case - -  I thought I'd be all excited and in suspense to step in to the house where it all happened.
    And the moment I stepped into the house, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness. I felt sad inside the entire time of my stay pretty much. Whether or not who killed Andrew and Abby Borden suddenly made no difference to me. And my sudden indifference wasn't my choice --  I simply felt sad. Sad that two people were killed here.

Sort of interesting maybe --  my reservation was for the third floor bedroom -- where the maid slept. Largely because I was the only guest --  and an incredibly nice guest, ha! -- the house manager "upped" me at no cost to the most expensive room of the house --  Andrew and Abby's bedroom.

The whole Borden murder event still fascinates me.

And the spoiled breakfast food is made into a big deal by some theorists and basically ignored as unimportant by other theorists.
    Oh, my - - I could go on and on. Ha!

Oh, and just in case, I was unsure by your comment of whom you meant by "her" and "her employers"--  but Lizzie was the daughter of Andrew and step-daughter of Abby. And Lizzie had a sister Emma. The family all lived together and they had a maid. The majority of experts do not consider the maid a likely suspect at all, even at the time.
    What'd I tell you? I'm just rattling off stuff!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 9, 2017 9:25 PM MST
      February 9, 2017 9:22 PM MST

• I seriously have no idea why I have this silly thing. 
      February 7, 2017 12:35 AM MST

I have things, too, that I wonder why I have them.
      February 7, 2017 8:17 PM MST

That's a nice Eddie Murphy plate!
      February 7, 2017 8:06 PM MST

Ha!
      February 7, 2017 8:16 PM MST