Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Mississippian Roger Logan had a benign 40 lb. tumor removed from his tummy! He was told it was "just fat". Took 12 years to diagnose. Why?

Mississippian Roger Logan had a benign 40 lb. tumor removed from his tummy! He was told it was "just fat". Took 12 years to diagnose. Why?

A man from China had a 242-lb. tumor removed from his back. Could you have waited  to do something about either tumor till they got so huge? How?

Posted - February 7, 2017

Responses

not sure why it would take so long to diagnose something like that, i would like to think that doctors would know what theyre doing but sometimes ive wondered
      February 7, 2017 4:42 PM MST

Exactly! Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Valentine's Day Tuesday! :)
      February 14, 2017 4:07 AM MST

If it was benign perhaps it didn't cause worrying symptoms like constant pain, deep tiredness or internal bleeding.

A former work colleague used to suffer from severe migraines, until one day her doctor thought a little more deeply and sent her to a consultant, who found she had a brain tumour! Luckily it was removed and she made a full, "migraine"-free recovery.
      February 13, 2017 4:19 PM MST

Waiting till something is that huge makes no sense to me Durdle. As for your friend thank goodness for the consultant! There are folks who have gone to doctors for years for help and the doctors have been very dismissive saying it was all their minds. How they could be doctors beats the he** outta me! Thank you for your reply and Happy Valentine's Day Tuesday to thee and thine m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 15, 2017 3:54 PM MST
      February 14, 2017 4:10 AM MST

Thank you Rosie! 'Fraid I've no "thine" in a Valentine's Day sense though. 

I suppose the problem with doctors is that so many illnesses produce similar symptoms that they tend to think only of the simplest, perhaps trying to be kind to the patient, but ending up a little too kind. I had the opposite - an Occupational Health doctor whose report on my arthritis was so negative it practically wrote me off, though I did her advice to seek physiotherapy, and the resulting exercises plus a different way to view the complaint, has helped me considerably.
      February 15, 2017 3:58 PM MST