Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Language » How do you feel about punctuation? Is it useful, essential, or a pain?

How do you feel about punctuation? Is it useful, essential, or a pain?

I'm presently reading an eBook in which, every so often, an element of punctuation has been omitted. I've no doubt that the author got it right but the copy setter has been careless. It's not too hard to work out what's meant but that entails re-reading the sentence, or the paragraph, to see what it really means, And THAT drags me out of the story. 

How do you feel about badly punctuated work?

Posted - February 7, 2017

Responses

Thanks Didge;))
      February 7, 2017 11:54 PM MST

This has been a very interesting post. Thank you Didge.
    I am glad punctuation exists. I have two sisters-in-law who will text or email and not use any punctuation (or spaces on occasion). I will usually text them back and tell them to call and leave a message because their message was garbled. They have said repeatedly they cannot find punctuation on their phone or keyboard. My wife told me they are too lazy to ask and embarrassed because they do not know how to use punctuation. Imagine a message or letter without punctuation or spaces.
    (Example)
    thishasbeenaveryinterestingposthankyoudidgeiamgladpunctuationexistsihavetwosistersinlawwhowilltextoremailandnotuseanypunctuationorspacesonoccasioniwillusuallytextthembackandtellthemtocallandleaveamessage becausetheirmessagewasgarbledtheyhavesaidrepeatedlytheycannotfindpunctuationontheirphoneorkeyboard mywifetoldmetheyaretoolazytoaskandembarrassedbecausetheydonotknowhowtousepunctuationimagineamessageorletterwithoutpunctuationorspaces

February 8, 2017 4:36 AM MST

• You might not believe me but i understood that, Ancient. :)

My wife went back to school as a mature age student then on to university. She showed me an assignment her anatomy lecturer had given her and said, can you work this out? It was a full A4 page that started with a capital letter and ended witj a full stop. The rest just continued in the manner of your sisters in law. (It's OK, Randy, I left the hyphens out on purpose.) I re-wrote the page dividing it into four paragraphs with three sentences in each and gave it back to her. She said, "Oh, is that what it means?" It was all but unintelligible.
      February 8, 2017 8:30 AM MST

I really think punctuation is essential to make the meaning of each sentence clear.  Without properly placed modifiers, the result is confusion about the subject.  If we don't know the subject of a sentence, all meaning is lost.  Punctuation allows us to breeze through the text while understanding a whole lot more than the main idea.
    a single comma can change the meaning of a sentence.  How can we leave them out!
      February 8, 2017 4:28 PM MST

• Hi Teach, it's so good to hear from you. I thought you'd given us away and that'd be a shame. I'm optimistic that our friend from Washington (WA not DC) might join us, She has other things on her mind at present but hasn't ruled it out. She'd be very popular here. 
      February 8, 2017 4:42 PM MST

Sorry Didge. I did provide a comment here and even gave an example of text without punctuation. For what ever the reason it was removed without explanation.
      February 8, 2017 6:55 AM MST

Well, well after 44 minutes its is back but the others appear to be gone. I don't know what technical glitch is happening but it is. Thank You, to whom ever.
      February 8, 2017 7:42 AM MST

• And I got to read it. Thanks for the interesting answer, Ancient One. (Hope you're enjoying life on aMug.)
      February 8, 2017 8:32 AM MST

It is different. Like going from a small town to the big city. I am still finding my way around.
      February 8, 2017 12:23 PM MST

Me too.  I really want a plain layout.
      February 8, 2017 4:29 PM MST

• That's a pretty good description, Ancient One. Still, we moved from city to town when Ask closed; now we've moved back to the big smoke. I took a few days to find my feet but I like it. 
      February 8, 2017 4:43 PM MST

Essential, Didge.

Otherwise, just as you did for Mrs. Didge, it requires translation; because it might as well be a second language.
      February 8, 2017 2:00 PM MST

• You got that right. I was sorry to see Walter crash and burn with his first two posts here. He had closed his account before the ink was dry. Well, maybe not ink, but before the pixels were in place.
      February 8, 2017 3:43 PM MST

I grew up with a dad that was an editor for a rather large company.  Yeh.  He rode me over punctuation, but it was a good thing and has served me well in my adult life.
      February 8, 2017 3:46 PM MST

• I guess that was bound to happen. Still, a good grounding is useful.
      February 8, 2017 3:54 PM MST

He really taught me a lot and it helped when I was writing papers in school and later when I was on the job.  
      February 8, 2017 4:00 PM MST

• Some of it is convoluted and arbitrary. I'm sorry.  Call me a plebe but semi-colons are kinda silly and doesn't serve much important function. It could easily be done away with or replaced with a comma  or as another sentence.
    Example.

Some people write with a word processor; others write with a pen or pencil.
    Some people write with a word processor, others write with a pen or pencil.
    Some people write with a word processor. Others write with a pen or pencil.

I don't see why  the semicolon somehow makes sense or conveys a thought better than the other two.

February 8, 2017 3:59 PM MST

• Not all sentences are that simple and there are places where the semi-colon really is needed. Rule of thumb: if it makes comprehension easier, I'll put it in. Rules are there for clarity.
      February 8, 2017 4:11 PM MST

• I still disagree.  Colon is much better than semicolon.
    The rules of the hyphen get pretty dumb too.   Semicolon and semi-colon both being correct for the compound word is an example. The English language really should update to more clear cut rules. Just like how a possessive is formed with an apostrophe most of the time but not all of the time.   That's stupid.
    I hear you though.  I'll skip punctuation sometimes on simple or silly musings to create a  dialect effect but try hard to get it right when being serious.

Some punctuation marks are a pain to use on touchscreens because of the keyboard toggling  so I kinda get why people use spaces instead of periods and commas at times.
      February 8, 2017 4:18 PM MST

• In an assignment for my creative writing course I once wrote an article that contain a flashback, then another flashback within the first one -- something like a set of Matryoshka dolls. They really needed past perfect tense but it would have been too clumsy to read, so I started each section with the past perfect then dropped back to simple past tense.

I asked my tutor for an opinion and he said that I'd done the right thing. His suggestion was to break the rules for the sake of clarity when I thought it was necessary. 

That's how I feel about punctuation. I use it the way it feels right and I know that I often break the rules -- sometimes intentionally, sometimes because I don't know all the rules. I appreciate your answer and comments and it's certainly not my intention to suggest that I'm right and you're wrong. This is just what seems to work for me. 
      February 8, 2017 4:33 PM MST

• I'm not trying to say who's right or wrong either.  I feel the same way about it. Just being crusty cause it's more fun.
      February 8, 2017 4:54 PM MST

• On Randy D's behalf may I ask whether that should have been 'cause (with an apostrophe)?
      February 8, 2017 5:07 PM MST

• Yup.
      February 8, 2017 5:13 PM MST

Hard to know where (under whom) to put this comment.

I can do a lot around the house with a hammer, a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers.

But if I am repairing a watch, I'm going to need tools more suited to the item I am working on.

Same with using language to convey a precise thought.

Punctuation is the hands of a master is the difference between your toddler's piano and a Steinway; and until you have heard both, it's hard to understand what I am talking about.  (Semicolon required in the previous sentence.)
      February 9, 2017 8:59 PM MST

It was a period I went through in my life.  Now I'm much comma. 
      February 8, 2017 4:12 PM MST