Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Giving up rarely gets you anywhere, anything, anyone. Hope just might. Are you a hopeful person? Why?

Giving up rarely gets you anywhere, anything, anyone. Hope just might. Are you a hopeful person? Why?

Posted - February 9, 2017

Responses

• Yes, I'm a hopeful person. I believe in hope and always try to look at the bright side. I'm hoping for a couple of things right now and I know they will come about in time. I never give up. Never.
      February 9, 2017 6:22 AM MST

Excellent. I'm hopeful too although to be honest with you right now it's very hard to be. But I never give up unless I stop wanting it and move on to wanting something else. "Every day in every way I am getting better and better". A mantra created by Dr. Emil Coue. I used to say that every day after the cancer surgery and months of chemo in 2008. I say it to this day Rooster. As I go to sleep each night I say it. It is comforting. Never give up hope. Never give in to despair. Keep on truckin'! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      February 9, 2017 6:55 AM MST

• I don't think I've seen another reference to Coue in the Net. A remarkable man. Help to bridge the gap from Mesmer's "animal magnetism" to James Braid's hypnotism. 
      February 9, 2017 4:46 PM MST

Well that sure brightens my day m'dear! Thank you. I guess not every Tom, Dick and Rosie know about him but we do! Thanks for the additional info about him. I was not aware of that! Happy Friday Didge! :)
      February 10, 2017 2:36 AM MST

• Ya give up and it's all over. I'll plug on. 

Your question reminded me of my first marathon. I lacked the experience to pace myself properly and by the time I had run 25 km I'd used up most of my energy and still had 17 km to go. There was nothing to do but quit or tough it out. I got there and was reasonably pleased with my time. I can't really claim to have enjoyed the last bit, though. 
      February 9, 2017 4:45 PM MST

I'm stubborn and not a giver upper Didge unless I lose interest and then I"m outta there. I doubt I will ever think that of life unless of course I'm in unremitting agony with no hope for an end to it. That's a different ballgame. I would elect some form of euthanasia in a medical setting. I think California allows it but I'm not  positive. As for those folks who say "only God  has that right" I say baloney! Anyone who PREFERS that a loved one suffer needlessly does not love. You can't want that kind of existence for anyone let alone a loved one. Thank you for your reply. The words "my head is bloodied but unbowed" popped into mind. Keep on keepin' on. You never know what's waiting for you and it could be great!:)
      February 10, 2017 2:41 AM MST

• I'm not opposed to euthanasia, in fact my instructions to my doctor are that I'm not to be kept alive artificially should that situation ever arise. Over the door of Dante's Hell was the sign, "All hope abandon, ye who enter here". When there's no hope we might as well pull the plug.
      February 10, 2017 2:49 AM MST

I agree. I don't know if I told you how my dad died. He worked nights and would take a nap before he had to leave for work. Well one day he didn't wake up. My sis came home from school and saw him and thought he was just sleeping. She went to the library with friends. When my mom came home from work he was there. "Sleeping" peacefully from a forever nap.  When I arrived later with my then-husband I saw him. He had such a peaceful look on his face. An almost smile. I always thought that must have been a reward for being a good man. That is how I'd like to go if I could have my d'ruthers. No lingering. No suffering. No making your loved ones suffer through with you or having to make an agonizing decision about you. Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 10, 2017 5:47 AM MST

• That's the best way to go, Rosie. I would wish that for everybody. Just a quiet slip into an endless sleep. 
      February 10, 2017 5:51 AM MST

It's such a simple way to be and then no longer be isn't it?:)
      February 10, 2017 6:21 AM MST

Rosie. There is no hope for me. From your point of view, there may be. However, I know the truth.
      February 9, 2017 4:47 PM MST

No sweetie I disagree.  Where there's life there's hope. I believe that. How many years have we been internet pals? You are still here m'dear. Me too. That is a victory any way you look at it. Now things are not ideal. I know that. But you can still find joy even when your life isn't perfect. You participate here and maybe other places too. Your input is always relevant and thoughtful. I look forward to chatting with you and I'm positive I"m not the only one who feels that way.  I think we all have sadness within us because of someone or something. You can't know just by looking at a person or even talking/engaging with a person what sadness he/she experiences. But for those few moments that you connect with others positively life is good! I'll take those moments and be grateful for them because if that's all we have it's better than nothing. Did I just lecture you? I didn't mean to Zack. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :) ((hugs))
      February 10, 2017 2:46 AM MST

• I am a hopeful person. Always. Because one never knows what may occur in the next hour or tomorrow. And one never knows what is around the next bend. 
      February 9, 2017 4:48 PM MST

Or over the next hill. It could be the greatest thing ever but if you don't keep going you will never know. Thank you for your reply Lace and Happy Friday! Where there's life there's hope. Always. :)
      February 10, 2017 2:48 AM MST

• Yes indeed! You're welcome and Happy Friday to you. ;-)
      February 10, 2017 7:19 AM MST