Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Weather » What weather hazards are there in YOUR locality?

What weather hazards are there in YOUR locality?

I live in a high-risk bushfire area. Some folk endure floods. Others have cyclones, or blizzards, or earthquakes. What's the most dangerous weather situation where you live?

Posted - February 10, 2017

Responses

I live in a very rural area, up a small mountain surrounded by woods.  Blizzards, high winds, & forest fires are the most dangerous weather situations for me.
      February 10, 2017 5:13 AM MST

• You've got more than your share, Harry. We've had fires through the town, though not for many years, but the day we get a flood up here I'm gonna look for a guy in a funny wooden boat, chockablock full of animals. 
      February 10, 2017 5:15 AM MST

I would be looking for the same guy.  It's a near impossibility for me to be flooded out at my elevation so, a rain of biblical proportions would have to fall before that happens.
      February 10, 2017 5:24 AM MST

• "Earthquakes" are southern California's specialty.  
    That said, with the combination Californian's aggressive driving style
    and a temperate climate, even rain causes unnecessary deaths.
    (they won't slow down)
      February 10, 2017 5:40 AM MST

I'm noticing the aggressive driving is a nationwide issue.  I've seen people driving like idiots, speeding & tailgating during snow storms.
      February 10, 2017 5:54 AM MST

• Well, it's true that not many Americans drive the speed limit, although most of them would tell me I'm wrong, but because of the lack of weather SoCal drivers don't do well in any kind of weather. 

Of course, it takes all kinds and there are ... all kinds.  The people you're talking about ... my hope for them is that they don't take anybody with them when they kill themselves. 
      February 10, 2017 6:07 AM MST

• I've only experienced one earthquake. It was 3.00 am and although the epicentre was about 150 km to the north the whole building swayed from side to side. You don't need to be told twice what's happening. It didn't last long.

It was a big building (there's a picture of it in my most recent blog post, Kookaburra, and it was fairly impressive.
      February 10, 2017 2:20 PM MST

• Gets the ole' blood flowin', don't it!
      February 10, 2017 3:15 PM MST

• Damn right! But it keeps you entertained. I've never seen anybody looking bored during a big fire
      February 10, 2017 3:39 PM MST

• I live in WV ....we have mountains, so tornadoes aren't much of a factor. I'm far away from the ocean so hurricanes aren't a factor either. For me, it has to be Forrest fires which we really don't have many of....but SNOW!!!! Now there's a hazard for this area since most if us live up or on top if a hill! So snow is my answer! :)
      February 10, 2017 6:05 AM MST

• I've only been in the snow a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. So speaks the tourist! I doubt if I'd enjoy the conditions so much if I lived in a snowy area. :)
      February 10, 2017 2:21 PM MST

Living near a very large body of water we are constantly buffeted by strong winds. Yesterday my flag pole was almost bent in half from the wind. I removed the flag, Wind is our biggest issue and tornadoes. Over the past 8 years we have had four major tornadoes that took several lives and caused millions worth of property damage. However, if you know the danger and possible consequences you can prepare yourself, prepare your property and prepare your family and be safe.
      February 10, 2017 6:18 AM MST

• That's some wind! But you're right: we who live in dangerous areas can do a lot to protect ourselves. I've fought a few bushfires but I'm too zombied out to do it anymore. Next time we'll probably just pack the car and go.
      February 10, 2017 2:23 PM MST

There are no weather hazard warnings for today. It is 74 F., cloudy. Rain is forecasted for 5:00 this afternoon. 
      February 10, 2017 2:41 PM MST

In my current location, tornadoes.  At home, hurricanes. 
      February 10, 2017 10:13 PM MST

Presently cold, clear here on the  Delmarva Peninsula, or simply Delmarva.. (A large peninsula on the East Coast of the United States, occupied by most of Delaware as well as the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the Eastern Shore of Virginia). This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at February 10, 2017 10:37 PM MST
      February 10, 2017 10:32 PM MST