Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Are you old enough to remember radio plays?

Are you old enough to remember radio plays?

They were popular before TV -- one hour dramas that, because you weren't presented with a visual picture, brought your imagination into play. They're still broadcast occasionally. Would you enjoy listening? 

Posted - February 10, 2017

Responses

• Yes, I love them still. BBC Radio 4 still does a lot of them. They are available online... Not quite the same thing but similar...very similar.. I caught a dramatisation of Asimov's I Robot today! Very cool, I am a huge fan of Sci-fi
      February 10, 2017 5:12 AM MST

• I loved Asimov's work. He hated travel, especially by air, but was persuaded to attend a sci-fi convention in London. When he was introduced the audience were told, "There is only one Isaac Asimov in the world." When he died the same man spoke at his memorial and repeated what he had said in London. Then he continued, "Now there is no Isaac Asimov in the world, and we are poorer for it." 

I enjoyed I Robot, though I haven't heard the radio version.
      February 10, 2017 5:18 AM MST

• Here ya go.. as I say I think most people can listen to it.. I have an American friend who is always listening to radio 4 stuff so it should work for you.. this is todays one but it will link you to the others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ctykj
      February 10, 2017 5:52 AM MST

• Many thanks. I've bookmarked it and will listen tomorrow. Very much appreciated. 
    Now I'm off to bed.
    I hope.:)
      February 10, 2017 5:56 AM MST

• If you listened to radio plays, you're probably too old to remember them. :) (just kidding)

"The Shadow"
    "The Thin Man"
    "Amos & Andy"
    "Jack Benny"
    "The Great Gildersleeve"
    "George Burns & Gracie Allen"

February 10, 2017 5:22 AM MST

• We had a few of those here plus many others produced locally. And on Sunday nights we had the choice of two radio plays.
      February 10, 2017 5:30 AM MST

• Ahh them were the days :P
      February 10, 2017 5:53 AM MST

Alf I remember them all. One or two would never be played today because they are not "politically correct" but they are still great shows. Did you ever listen to the radio "soap operas"? 
      February 10, 2017 6:12 AM MST

• Not that I recall. Didn't watch any of the TV ones either.
      February 10, 2017 6:15 AM MST

Yes, and they're great entertainment!
    ~
      February 10, 2017 5:22 AM MST

• One of my favourite entertainments. :)
      February 10, 2017 5:30 AM MST

just black and white TVs LOL This post was edited by Baba at February 11, 2017 6:30 PM MST
      February 11, 2017 6:30 PM MST