Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Think on this. When the generation that lived through a period of history has died the following generation feels free to rewrite it. Case i

Think on this. When the generation that lived through a period of history has died the following generation feels free to rewrite it. Case i

n point. Why is there argument over whether the Holocaust happened or not and many other historical events?

Posted - February 11, 2017

Responses

• Oh noooooo  we cannot allow that...  but yes I have had to tell young things off for making sick jokes about Hitler etc... there are still MANY alive today who witnessed it and have immediate family who were killed.. there are also absolutely zillions of reports of same from both sides, German and Brit and from French. There is also physical evidence... so that happened and it would be a huge disservice to say it didn't.. we must never forget that.. or indeed many other things that happened in history... 

I think the thing is.. in ancient history, then yes, it's more likely that things didn't happen in quite the same way as presented.. but, but, we have to remember that in pretty much all historical events in the last 2 or more centuries there are almost always more than one source.. so back to holocaust.. people still alive, soldiers on both sides, trials where war criminals have been tried hear evidence.. and people do collate this.. .

I remember being quite stunned that someone was investigating Van Gogh's life and death... they found reports from villagers, the order that was signed to have him incarcertated in a nut house, they found evidence of the lady for whom he cut off his ear... see you can investigate and find evidence and that's what makes the difference between fact and fiction.... I sure hope that younger generations follow history and don't dismiss it This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 11, 2017 8:09 PM MST
      February 11, 2017 3:02 PM MST

Aye, indeed.
      February 11, 2017 6:37 PM MST

The argument that arises out of whether the holocaust happened or not was started as a conspiracy theory by people who were/are anti-semitic. 

When history is re-written by others in a way that appears to deny the actual truth, usually there is an endgame involved. 
      February 11, 2017 3:49 PM MST

maybe people are just in denial about the fact that it happened
      February 11, 2017 4:27 PM MST

My father helped liberate a camp full of inmates. He witnessed the bulldozers brought in to dig trenches to make mass graves for the piles of dead starved victims. He had a special book printed by his 101st Airborne Division that is full of these photos. My mother still has that book stored away. 
      February 11, 2017 5:47 PM MST

Only crackpots think the holocaust never happened. It's always those weird conspiracy people that think lizard men are trying to take over and that the moon is an evil alien satellite in disguise and all that weird stuff.
      February 11, 2017 7:04 PM MST

• There really is no coherent argument to dispute the historicity of the Nazi Holocaust. None. It happened. 

To deny history is sowing ignorance, and invites the doom of repeating it. We can find many instances in history of vested interests determining the narrative of historical events, most often to the detriment of truth. Myths are born this way. False beliefs arise from myths. There is always something more to learn from history; so think--what motive is worthy of instilling false beliefs in place of the hard lessons of actual history? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 12, 2017 5:51 AM MST
      February 11, 2017 7:46 PM MST