Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever frightened yourself?

Have you ever frightened yourself?

I had a part time job cleaning a foundry. The caretaker, a drinking mate of the previous cleaner, had committed suicide on the premises and old Tommy swore he haunted the place. He resigned and I got the job.

One night I was carrying a bucketful of rubbish through the almost completely dark foundry, thinking about Tommy and his haunted building, when a cat leapt from a moulding at my feet. My legs were still running when my body stopped at the back wall of the foundry.

What's your story?

Posted - February 11, 2017

Responses

With that full cup of sleeping pills? You bet.
      February 11, 2017 7:58 PM MST

• And there's a story.
      February 11, 2017 8:00 PM MST

probably but i cant remember exactly when
      February 11, 2017 8:33 PM MST

• I'm glad it didn't make too much impact, then. I've done it a couple of times. Might tell the other story one day.
      February 11, 2017 9:17 PM MST

• I've scared myself a lots :) Thinking back on first time I drank alcohol was scary! I was in teen years and mixed a tumbler glass half with vodka and half Clamato juice and a table spoon of Tabasco sauce :/ ( that's a Canadian drink called a Ceaser) anyway ... Next thing I remember , woke up on floor with red vomit all through my hair and a huge burn hole in my shirt.... But my skin wasn't burnt. I know nothing really bad happened cos I was with only one close friend... But to this day don't know why or how my shirt was burnt and not my skin ... Meh :/ so that was my first and last experience with alcohol for over ten years. I do drink alcohol now though,SURPRISE!;)  I forget what the heck the question was :( 
      February 11, 2017 8:38 PM MST

• That'd  be a worry. And a mystery. What the heck was in that drink and why didn't it burn your skin?
      February 11, 2017 9:19 PM MST

• I don't know :) that was a life time ago .... I gave up trying Suss out what happened :)
      February 11, 2017 9:24 PM MST

I have an anxiety disorder. Along with that, I still invite fear into my head and I allow it to torture me with anxiety, to be blunt.
      February 11, 2017 8:41 PM MST

• That's a worry, and explains your answer to my other question. I'm sorry to hear that, Welby. Can you get help for it?
      February 11, 2017 9:20 PM MST

Yeah, I've gotten help with counseling, medication and lots of managing tools -- positive self-talk, peaceful affirmations, extreme exercise, several very close friends who help me, prayer, faith. Probably other things, too, I guess, that aren't coming to mind, though.
    :)
      February 12, 2017 10:36 AM MST

• What can I say but "Good luck". I wish you well. 
      February 12, 2017 11:17 AM MST

Thanks, again, Didge.
    :)
      February 12, 2017 3:50 PM MST

Frequently while surfing in clear water I have looked down to see my own shadow on the sea floor.  Thinking it was as shark I was startled.  So, I was literally afraid of my own shadow.  Ha ha.
      February 11, 2017 10:43 PM MST

• I was out cycling one time and felt a few thumps on the back. When I looked down at the road I could see the shadow of a magpie's wings flapping as he attacked me. They're brave birds.
      February 11, 2017 10:52 PM MST

Sometimes I'll turn my head and see my own hair moving in the corner of my eye and it scares the bejesus out of me.
      February 12, 2017 6:36 AM MST