Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you have any recurring dreams, nightmares maybe? What do you think they mean?

Do you have any recurring dreams, nightmares maybe? What do you think they mean?

In my dream I see a huge canyon like ditch extending as far as I can see.  In it, there's a multitude of people all.walking in the same direction. Millions and millions of people all pack tight walking up this trench.
I know we're walking away from something that happened but I don't know what it is, and neither do anybody I ask. 
At one point I take a little jump to see how far up this things goes. When I did this, I.found out that I could float a little. So I tried again and made it to the.point where I could jump real high and stay up in the air for a long time. The column of people went as far as I.could see to the.front and behind.

I have a nightmare.

In it, im staying in a broken down cabin in the woods. With holes in the walls and floors. It's very dark and spooky. Suddenly there's big lizard like eyes looking inside the cabin thru the holes. I run from room to room trying to.escape them, but they are always there. 
There's a blue truck outside and somehow I know that if I make it to it, I'd be safe. So I open the door and shoot for the truck. But I can never remember if I make it or not.

Do you have or used to have dreams that kept coming back?

Posted - February 11, 2017

Responses

• I've been retired for almost 20 years but I sometimes dream that I've been recalled to work -- not to any of my later positions, but to a job I left in 1979. There's never any angst but I invariably find that I've lost some of the skills I had before. I suppose that dream comes back a couple of times a year.

When I was much younger I regularly dreamed that I was walking down a Sydney footpath on my way to work at that job. As I walked the secret of life was being revealed to me so that by the time I reached the intersection I knew what it was all about. Then, as I turned into the cross street, the whole scene would world like a kaleidoscope and I would again be at the top of the hill walking back down the same footpath. I never did manage to remember what I'd been shown. Shades of the Flying Dutchman.
      February 11, 2017 11:39 PM MST

• That's pretty cool D. 
    How interesting. So many symbols eh?
    You need to.find a.way to.remember the second part, the one about the secret of life. Seriously, why couldn't it be it?
    I remember going to.sleep thinking about some mathematical problem and have it easily solved in my sleep. Like you, I was mostly never able to.remember.
    Thanks Mr D.
      February 11, 2017 11:47 PM MST

• I have one reoccurring nightmare I've had since late teens... I'm sitting with large group of people
    at long picnic tables.... Then we all get up walk towards beach and water .... Get close to water and a bunch of men start shooting  at us... So I lay down pretend to be dead. I open my eyes and can see boots of one of men shooting standing right by me so I lay still pretend to be dead....But I'm worried about someone else there and want know if they are okay... Is the worst kind of panic feeling , cos I need to know if they are okay ... but I have to just lay still.... I have no idea in dream who I'm worried about though.... I've had that dream lots . No idea what it means.... But I don't like it. 
      February 11, 2017 11:59 PM MST

• Very unpleasant. :(
      February 12, 2017 12:06 AM MST

• That must be scary, very scary!
    Amazing how even when in our awake state we can recognize them as dreams, they are still just as scary when they happen.
    Honestly?
    And this may sound silly, but I don't think I would be going to the.beach with any frequency, if I had that dream regularly. Yoj know?
    Thanks Jaimie.
      February 12, 2017 2:16 AM MST

• You're probably right :) funny thing is I live very close to water now .... not a beach though......Hopefully won't get attacked in my backyard ;) 
      February 13, 2017 5:08 PM MST

• That's funny.
    But im serious. If I had that dream once I'd probably ignore it. If I had it twice, I'd still be like, Meh!.
    But if that turned into a recurring dream, I'd certainly feel the universe is trying to tell me something. You know? )

February 13, 2017 10:58 PM MST

The first dream is you have been caught in a earthquake in California.  Everyone in the state fell into the trench that opened up and they are walking uphill away from the ocean with the water nipping at your feet. 

In the second dream a hungry lizard is coming to feast upon the insects in your garden that have destroyed all your good food.  This post was edited by . at February 12, 2017 1:44 AM MST
      February 12, 2017 1:42 AM MST

• Makes sense Morning, makes sense. Thanks for writing.
      February 12, 2017 2:18 AM MST

I dream I am back in college and it is my last semester.  I've studied had for the last test in my hardest class but as I go to take the test I realize I've been neglecting my easiest class to the point that I completely forgot about that final exam.  The horror is that, despite my hard work, I will not get all my credits and will not graduate.  I am way too tired to repeat the class and must resign myself to never getting my degree.  There's no mystery here - it's PTSD after 40 years.  Putting myself through school was one of the hardest, maybe the hardest, thing I've ever done but, in the end, it was worth it. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at February 12, 2017 5:09 PM MST
      February 12, 2017 5:07 PM MST

• Good for you C, It is definitely a credit upon you to have finished despite how difficult it was. 
    That is one anxiety causing dream right there. 
    I've noticed that bad dreams fall into two categories. 
    One is the monster, imminent danger, rhino chasing you to the edge of the precipice kind. The other is more of a situational anxiety or Impending doom scenario, like yours. 
    You know what I mean?
    Thanks for sharing C.

February 13, 2017 10:53 PM MST

no, i rarely remember my dreams, not sure why, maybe its a good thing
      February 12, 2017 9:28 PM MST

• I think that's very wise.
    Thanks pearl. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 13, 2017 10:54 PM MST
      February 13, 2017 10:54 PM MST

• Do you really want me to tell you. If you do then I will.
      February 15, 2017 1:15 AM MST

• Of course, of course.
      February 15, 2017 1:24 PM MST

• Alright then.
    When I was very, very little I had a recurring nightmare. It was quite short and there was no context, what happened before or after this scene was never part of the dream, it just was was it was.
    The house we lived in was a suburban terrace with an alley running down the back. There was a garage of sorts constructed from breeze blocks at the end of the garden adjoining the alley and when I got very frightened by something I would run into the garden, open the gate and hide behind it in the alley.
    This was what I saw in the dream, the square garden, the fence, the garage, but I was looking down from above high up in the sky. 
    In the garden were three or four men and three gorilla-people. The gorillas wore trousers and braces and were shouting and screaming helplessly as the other men built columns of concrete around the gorilla-people's legs. The columns got taller and taller, encasing the gorillas and making them immobile as they were pushed higher and higher into the sky.
    That was it. I was petrified. I suppose it was the cruelty and the sense of terror, the bizarre construction of concrete legs from which the gorillas couldn't escape. But that they were being forced further and further into the sky without any power to resist absolutely immobilised me with fear and panic.
    What did it mean? That could take a while, couldn't it?
      February 16, 2017 4:11 AM MST