Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Element 99
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Are you in a business contract smarty you can't get out of? Tell us, please share.

Are you in a business contract smarty you can't get out of? Tell us, please share.

The gym got you for a life time membership?

Posted - February 12, 2017

Responses

If you can show one thing in the contract the gym didn't live up to, the contract is void and you do not have to honor it either.
      February 12, 2017 8:35 PM MST

no
      February 12, 2017 8:42 PM MST

• We once signed a contract to buy a set of books that were supposed to help with our son's education. (He was having trouble at the time.) The salesman left us comprehensive brochure and said, "Check this over. If they don't do what I said we'll cancel the sale." 

Yeah. Right. 

In the ensuing kerfuffle when the company refused to cancel I said, "OK, deliver the books. Wherever you put them is where they'll stay. The rain can rain on them, the dogs can pee on them, and you'll have to write to me every week to get your payment. If you take me to court, with my commitments you'll get $1/week."

That's when he got huffy and said, "If that's your attitude, you can't have the books." 

It was nice to know he was getting the idea.
      February 12, 2017 9:11 PM MST

Nice to see you know how to not play nice when need be.
      February 13, 2017 9:24 PM MST

A few years back a credit card processor salesman talked us into switching companies. But after he left we looked closer and decided it wasn't the best route. I tried to call but just got voicemail. 
    But when the equipment came we refused the delivery....we thought no problem now. A few days later a fedex letter delivery came, we didn't know what it was and signed for it. It only had an raised credit card embosser for paper processing. We didn't even know what it was..
    The next month they hit our business checking account for $100. We called and explained we were not using them and refused the equipment. They told us we signed an unvoidable lease. And they would overnight us the equipment. Needless to say it got heated...they actually hung up. 
    We called back and started getting run around saying they were not the processor....
    We closed our business checking and opened another. 
    In about 2months we get a letter saying we are going to court. We called and transfered to the "new processor" they keep saying unvoidable lease and had our signature for the equipment (the fedex letter)..they bought the contract from the original. The original tells me the did cancel it but will not give me paper work with the date it was cancelled but they will say it on the phone. So we record the telephone conversation. With them saying they cancelled it Jan 20,...the company sueing is says they bought the contract in Feb....so it was cancelled before sold.

We go to court and show paperwork saying cancelled but no cancellation date. We explain we have the recording also but their lawyer says they will drop the case before we get to play it for the court. 

We submitted a complaint to ripoffreport and the Better Business Bureau and the state attorney general. 

TThese people are lucky their office was 15 hrs away...my husband would probably have needed bailed out. This post was edited by my2cents at February 14, 2017 5:23 AM MST
      February 13, 2017 8:26 PM MST

I'm on your side but question did you get consent to record the conversation and where you live do you need it?
      February 13, 2017 9:28 PM MST

My state MO has what we call a "one party consent law" so as long as one party in the conversation consents it is legal to record. So I gave myself consent. 
    Also they had in their hold recording that all conversation maybe recorded. So if needed I was prepared for claiming the recording as their consent. But didn't get to test that theory. This post was edited by my2cents at February 14, 2017 7:09 AM MST
      February 14, 2017 4:38 AM MST

Fortunately, no. I don't intend to get gradfathered-in to anything until I'm a grandfather. lol ;p

LET'S GO CHAMP!!
      February 13, 2017 9:31 PM MST

No.  I even have a pay as you go cell phone.

I hate commitment. 
      February 14, 2017 4:52 AM MST

I had a contract phone once. They extended my contract without telling me. Charged me $600 for cancelling.  Grrr. 

We now have no contract phones with Virgin mobile. We pay $35 month unlimited everything. Will never sign another contract again.
      February 14, 2017 5:03 AM MST

• I have no contracts with anyone or anything. I refuse to get into anything binding, except a rental lease for my apartment.
      February 14, 2017 5:24 AM MST