Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » Beard encouragement question. If a man wishes to grow his beard out, and discovers patchy (hairless) spots on his cheeks, would you....

Beard encouragement question. If a man wishes to grow his beard out, and discovers patchy (hairless) spots on his cheeks, would you....

advise him to grow it out anyway and rock what he's got, or would you tell him to pack it in and go clean-shaven, or would you tell him that it's time for him to cop-out and join the goatee brotherhood? 

Posted - February 13, 2017

Responses

• I have an excellent beard! It grows nice and thick! Except for some spots of my cheeks. They can be thin. Alright alright. Alot of spots on my cheeks. Alright alright, the sides of my cheeks have straggled hair but I have a nice small beard on my chin. Alright alright. I have a short goattee and fuzz on my cheeks that gets shaven off.. Jeeze, man. The things you drag out of me. How rude.
      February 13, 2017 3:44 PM MST

i think he should do what he wants, its his hair
      February 13, 2017 3:54 PM MST

If a man has areas especially on his cheeks where the hair is sparse if possible he might style his beard and shave those spots or if he can, he can let his beard grow and cover the spots. 
      February 13, 2017 4:29 PM MST

Perfect answer. I wish I could pin it to the top of the page. 
      February 13, 2017 8:54 PM MST

• I would shave it off and go clean shaven. I can grow a nice beard but it's mostly gray now and gets a few patches. No thanks, I like to shave. Keep a moustache though.
      February 13, 2017 5:35 PM MST

I like mustaches on most men - prefer it to a full beard.
      February 13, 2017 7:16 PM MST

Go to a barber and get him to style it for you, and then keep cleaned up with your razor.
      February 13, 2017 5:59 PM MST

• From this womans point of view, I'd rather see him clean shaven than looking like a hobo!
      February 13, 2017 6:04 PM MST

Are you molting?
      February 13, 2017 7:17 PM MST

No, I'm growing (a beard). :)
      February 13, 2017 7:33 PM MST

I see, but only in some spots, right? :)

February 13, 2017 7:42 PM MST

Yup! I don't need to worry tho, the patch (and it's only one small patch) will get covered up by the other growing hairs. It's only really noticeable for the first couple months. Patchy beards are very common...most guys will have at least one....and that's what discourages most guys from trying to grow a full beard, and is one of the reasons why so many guys just have goatees. If only they would give it more time.

This was my beard earlier this year. About 9-10 weeks length there (from clean-shaven). The patch on the right cheek is not very visible...unless you were to go looking for it! lol

February 13, 2017 8:45 PM MST

I'm staring at the right cheek, not visible yet;))
    why should you care,Righty,grow it as you wish,you can be a trendsetter;))
      February 14, 2017 7:40 PM MST

I'm not bothered by it because I know that time and length will conceal it. My point is that others don't realize this, and that's the reason they give up on it. 
      February 14, 2017 8:04 PM MST

Ok who are the 'others' here, besides your  wife,'who' keeps on staring and trying to find out about the beard with so much keenness,tell me! This post was edited by Veena.K at February 15, 2017 11:08 PM MST
      February 15, 2017 11:06 PM MST

I LOVE facial hair on a man. It's second only to chest hair. *drools* Some women need height, muscles, a certain eye color, or a certain hair color... not me. I love hair. Manly hair. *sighs*

From what I understand of it, most men have patches of hair that come in lighter or that won't grow at all. It may be more noticeable during the in-between stages of growth, but once it gets long enough, you can't tell. I personally don't care even during the in-between stages. Beards are danged sexy. Ultimately, it's up to the guy to decide what he wants, and I'm cool either way, but my preference is for beards, followed by goatees. If all else fails, at least give me some scruff every now and again. Bah. I need a man. lol
      February 13, 2017 9:56 PM MST

Great answer, JA! You really know your beard stuff. And you need to take some time off so you can go out on dates, you know. :)
      February 14, 2017 7:30 PM MST

lol I'm waiting for the day I can customize and download one. ;)
      February 15, 2017 11:00 PM MST

I wish that day would come soon JA;))
      February 15, 2017 11:02 PM MST