Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever re-visited the place where you grew up?

Have you ever re-visited the place where you grew up?

How much had it changed?

Posted - February 13, 2017

Responses

• I went to my old place about 50 years after leaving it and the rural area turned into giant town. Many things looked the same but there wasn't an empty lot to be seen. There were houses and commercial buildings everywhere.
      February 13, 2017 9:07 PM MST

• I found the same thing. All the vacant allotments had been built on and the area of bushland was a clutter of new developments. Disappointing. 

And I learned that I had been lied to. When I was 6 or 7 I was selected to plant a pussy willow tree in our school playground and Mrs Johnson told me that when I grew up and came back to visit that tree would still be there. So about 15 years ago I climbed the fence and went to photograph MY tree and found it had been replaced by a mobile classroom. Bloody Philistines!!
      February 13, 2017 9:21 PM MST

• You just can't trust those teachers Didge.
      February 14, 2017 5:23 AM MST

• "I did" ...  but it must have gotten moved because what I found was a different place altogether. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 14, 2017 5:52 PM MST
      February 14, 2017 5:34 AM MST

• One of my neighbours returned to Holland for a visit and didn't recognise the place. She'd been in Oz since her teens. 
      February 14, 2017 12:36 PM MST

Oh sure.  Nothing stays the same.
      February 14, 2017 12:13 PM MST

Revisiting the places that reminded me how alone I was growing up? No thank you.
      February 14, 2017 12:17 PM MST

• Sorry to hear that. I hope there were some good times mixed in with them.
      February 14, 2017 12:37 PM MST

Yes...the house is still there but the neighborhood has gone ghetto. The house is in shambles.
      February 14, 2017 2:51 PM MST

• That's a shame. My older sister (she's 92 now) asked me to get a photograph of the house we lived in during the 1930s, early 40s. I had no trouble finding the street but the houses have all been demolished and replaced by apartments.
      February 14, 2017 5:49 PM MST

Yes, in person; and I have also subsequently gone back few times with Google earth...Surprisingly, very little change...And I left there 57 years ago. This post was edited by tom jackson at February 14, 2017 9:11 PM MST
      February 14, 2017 2:54 PM MST

• Sheesh! I'm an idiot! I never thought to use Google Earth like that. Glad to hear your neighbourhood survived intact, Tom. Most haven't. 

And good to see you on line, too. :)
      February 14, 2017 5:50 PM MST

After we were married, before the young one came, my wife took me on a tour of her hometown. It was a classic white picket fence post card town. 
    After many years and the arrival of our little bundle of joy I proposed to take my family back to my home town, The Bronx. We never went. I 
    goggle Earthed it and everything that was important to me was either a parking lot or a baseball field. My school, the places I lived the areas where I played and worst of all the hospital where I was born. All gone, nada. Major disappointment.
      February 14, 2017 3:44 PM MST

• There are many disappointments, Ancient, but lots of good memories too. I've been back twice and that's not a lot since I left there in 1958.
      February 14, 2017 5:51 PM MST