Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Up in Oroville CA do you think that dam thing will hold or collapse allowing flooding to displace 200,000 from their homes?

Up in Oroville CA do you think that dam thing will hold or collapse allowing flooding to displace 200,000 from their homes?

Posted - February 14, 2017

Responses

• They're working on it 24 hours a day. I think they'll get it taken care before more storms. It should have been updated years ago like they did at Folsom Dam.

Diagram explains the problem with Oroville Dam;s emergency ...

February 14, 2017 7:25 AM MST

I've not kept up on this story. Shame on me.
    But your answer reminded me of a past event that has always fascinated me.
    The 1889 failure of the dam at the man-made Conemough Lake. Experts gave repeated notices that the earthen dam needed to be upgraded/maintained.
    The dam failure caused the 1889 Johnstown Flood in Johnstown (and surrounding communities), Pennsylvania, USA.
    Here's to Oroville having a much, much better outcome.
      February 14, 2017 7:35 AM MST

We can only hope and pray that it doesn't.
      February 14, 2017 12:05 PM MST

190,000 were evacuated on Sunday. The public was told they could return to their homes  on Tuesday afternoon, with the understanding that the danger still exists and could be told to evacuate again. With the rains continuing it's sad to think these poor people could undergo further hardships. May God help them!
      February 14, 2017 11:55 PM MST

190,000 were evacuated on Sunday. The public was told they could return to their homes  on Tuesday afternoon, with the understanding that the danger still exists and could be told to evacuate again. With the rains continuing it's sad to think these poor people could undergo further hardships. May God help them!
      February 15, 2017 12:05 AM MST