Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » FIREWORKS or AURORA AUSTRALIS/AURORA BOREALIS? The former is loud,manufactured. The latter 2 silent, majestic! Which is your cuppa tea? Why?

FIREWORKS or AURORA AUSTRALIS/AURORA BOREALIS? The former is loud,manufactured. The latter 2 silent, majestic! Which is your cuppa tea? Why?

Posted - February 14, 2017

Responses

The aurora because it is a rare event this far south. I saw them once while driving on the Indiana tollway and numerous times when our ship was involved in a training exercise in Norway. This post was edited by Element 99 at February 14, 2017 12:55 PM MST
      February 14, 2017 10:57 AM MST

Me too Ele but you saw them up close and personal! More than once! Lucky Lucky Lucky you! I have only ever seen them on TV and it took my breath away. I might faint if I ever saw them in real life and not through a TV tube! Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 14, 2017 12:34 PM MST

• I saw the Aurora Australis about 1945. It hasn't been this far north since then. Fireworks just don't come close.
      February 14, 2017 12:55 PM MST

Both!

You cannot compare or contrast them because they are too different.

I have seen the Aurora Borealis, on just two consecutive evenings while on holiday on Norway, and I too found them majestic and rather moving.

I have enjoyed many professional firework displays, but you can't say any given man-made spectacle is better or worse than any given natural one. Any more than you can say "The XYZ Mountains are beautiful but not a patch on the ABC Range" - even though both features in that example are natural.

Each, whether artificial or natural, exists to be admired on its own merits.
      March 16, 2017 8:18 PM MDT