Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you find it odd that the Mexican woman seeking sanctuary in a church in CO has been here 20 years and can't speak English?

Do you find it odd that the Mexican woman seeking sanctuary in a church in CO has been here 20 years and can't speak English?

Posted - February 16, 2017

Responses

My local Chinese restaurant is run by a guy who has been here to my certain knowledge for 34 years, it may be longer. He still speaks no English, he relies on his wife and children to get by.
      February 16, 2017 6:56 AM MST

• I feel sorry for his wife and kids. That's a lot to ask of your kids especially.
      February 16, 2017 6:59 AM MST

• Honestly I could never understand how someone could live in a place and never learn how to communicate with the people around them.  Seems like a self imposed burden that would make things a lot harder.
      February 16, 2017 6:58 AM MST

Hello Chief:

Nahhh..  I find it odd that she has to hide.

excon
      February 16, 2017 7:06 AM MST

• http://www.wikihow.com/Immigrate-Into-the-United-States-Permanently
      February 16, 2017 7:34 AM MST

Hello Glis:

Yeah, but when you have NO money for a lawyer, and your family is hungry NOW, and when you get to the border, the sign greeting you doesn't say, DO NOT CROSS, but instead reads HELP WANTED, you cross the border.. 

Now, I guess SOME starving Mexicans apply for a visa..  But, most of 'em KNOW they'll be DEAD before their visa comes through..

excon

PS>  Do you KNOW anything about HOW visa's are awarded to poor Mexicans, or do you just wanna sing the Trump tune?
      February 16, 2017 8:09 AM MST

• No, want to be honest is all.
    I don't agree at all with Trump's immigration ideas but the fact remains.  Immigration into another country is a privilege and not a right.
    I'll use that no money thing when I get pulled over with an expired license on the way to work. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 16, 2017 9:59 AM MST
      February 16, 2017 8:10 AM MST

Hello again, Glis:

Lemme ask you this..  IF immigration and/or obtaining a work permit was as easy as it SHOULD be, doncha think Mexicans WOULD do it?  Do you think they cross the border to say SCREW YOU America?? 

Mexico is corrupt..  IF you have money, you can BUY a visa or a work permit..  If you don't, you'll NEVER get one.  That would be NEVER!

I don't disagree with you..  IF the immigration LAWS addressed the PROBLEM on the ground, then people SHOULD obey them..  But, when laws are passed just for the sake of PASSING laws, and do NOTHING to address the problem on the ground, I'm NOT in favor of obeying 'em..  You can call me a rebel..  It's ok with me..

excon
      February 16, 2017 8:28 AM MST

Does it bother anyone that she had illegal SS card? Does it bother anyone she was driving with no license? Does it bother anyone that she had no car registration? Does it bother anyone that she was under deportation, under Obama? This post was edited by Tiger Paws at February 16, 2017 10:00 AM MST
      February 16, 2017 7:45 AM MST

Hello TP:

In a word - NO..  If someone wants to WORK in the US, they NEED those documents.  They didn't apply for 'em to STEAL.  They didn't apply for them so they can RAPE your family...  They got those pieces of paper so they could PICK your vegetables..  They get 'em so they can WASH your dishes or MAKE your bed..

excon
      February 16, 2017 8:17 AM MST

In the case of the SS number she made it up using her birthday. That's ok with you?

its ok that that she drives without a license, no insurance?

i have no problem with people being in US, but do it the right way!  Any if they are going to come in illegal at least obey the laws here.
      February 16, 2017 5:25 PM MST

February 16, 2017 5:29 PM MST

Really, Zack?
      February 16, 2017 5:33 PM MST

Yes, really Tiger Paws. Now try not to take offense. It's nothing personal.
      February 16, 2017 5:35 PM MST

I'm not not taking it personal, but I find it hard to believe anyone would think this was ok what she was doing. This post was edited by Tiger Paws at February 16, 2017 5:37 PM MST
      February 16, 2017 5:37 PM MST

It's not ok, but you yourself can't do anything about it and the POTUS is going about it all wrong. He doesn't have an original thought in that big orange head of his. That Immigration Ban was more than likely drawn up by Steve Bannon and he knows dick about immigration policy and/or law. Chump has surrounded himself by the wrong kind of people. I really hope you aren't in denial about all of this. You seem like a cool person. Sorry, but I have no answers for you and neither does Chump. 
      February 16, 2017 5:43 PM MST

Zack, I'm not in denial. I don't think the ban was done right either. But in this case this woman was up for deportation long before Trump took office. She had already been given several stays by Obama, she has a criminal record. They came after her this time because she failed to show for a visa hearing. Maybe I've said enough!
      February 16, 2017 5:52 PM MST

It looks like we need to toughen up and/or tweak the whole process. It doesn't make sense that Obama would give her anything stays because of her criminal history. I take it we all just want the illegals gone since they don't want to follow proper protocol. I understand your position in all of this and at least I get the feeling that you're objective about the whole thing. Chump has people around him that will only make things worse. As for new executive order or whatever, that won't stand up to scrutiny either. You need good policy makers and level heads to pound out something everyone can stand behind. This post was edited by Zack at February 16, 2017 6:03 PM MST
      February 16, 2017 6:02 PM MST

This isn't the place where you need to stop what you are talking about. We all are here to voice an opinion no matter how unpopular others may think your opinion is.
      February 16, 2017 6:05 PM MST

Most, not all people you are speaking about do speak 'some' English.  They understand more than they speak.  I have a friend who came from Mexico over forty years ago.  Yes, she is legal. However Spanish was her first language and she gets embarrassed because when she does speak English she has a very thick accent. So she speaks whatever language she needs to speak.
      February 16, 2017 8:36 AM MST

• It depends on the community they live in. If they only ever interact with people who speak Spanish then they may never learn English. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 16, 2017 1:25 PM MST
      February 16, 2017 9:34 AM MST

Yes I most certainly DO!!!!
      February 16, 2017 2:41 PM MST

• "Not really."  Colorado's population of 5,500,000+ is 18% Hispanic. It wouldn't be hard to find no need to learn English.
      February 16, 2017 6:07 PM MST