Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you ever heard the term double-think?

Have you ever heard the term double-think?

An excerpt: To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself—that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word “doublethink” involved the use of doublethink.

Posted - February 16, 2017

Responses

I see that all the time on the Clinton News Network. (CNN)
      February 16, 2017 12:31 PM MST

I'm sure you do.
      February 17, 2017 12:36 PM MST

• That's awfully convoluted, Beans, but I think it's just a clumsy way of saying "rationalising". We all tend to do that at times. It takes skill, and sometimes uncomfortable honesty, to avoid. 
      February 16, 2017 2:37 PM MST

For John (layman) Doe, being me, I'll just take it (double-think) as thinking twice before I do/say certain things.
      February 17, 2017 12:42 PM MST

• Sorry, I misunderstood. My answer is inappropriate if that's the meaning.
      February 17, 2017 2:58 PM MST

No.I'm saying what he meant is too complex for me.  I choose my simple meaning for double-think.
      February 17, 2017 4:38 PM MST

Let's differentiate between 
    relative truth and absolute truth.
    The world has to do with relative truth and basically
    is the surface of consciousness
         If someone were conscious of
    complete truthfulness, the understanding of which 
    is an awareness of and beyond the relative plane of consciousness,
    I don't think they would
    dabble in the illusion of lies etc.

...But I realize that you are talking normal
    consciousness and not that deep. LOL
      February 16, 2017 6:11 PM MST

For John (layman) Doe, being me, I'll just take it (double-think) as thinking twice before I do/say certain things.
      February 17, 2017 12:43 PM MST

is that like measure twice and cut once??
      February 17, 2017 1:38 PM MST

ABSOLUTELY..LOL.

Sometimes thrice for me. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at February 17, 2017 1:44 PM MST
      February 17, 2017 1:40 PM MST