Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » aM question categories:

aM question categories:

Skimming through the categories I cam across "Death and Dying". I was reluctant to use it because many folk find such considerations macabre or creepy. How do you feel about it as a subject or, eventually, as a personal destination?

Posted - February 16, 2017

Responses

• "Death and Dying" was a category that was added during the redesign of the site. I believe it was added due to AM member requests and probably voted on. I have the freedom to use the category or not and as far as a personal destination ... Nobody knows for sure about that, do they!
      February 17, 2017 1:29 AM MST

• No, Alf. Nobody does. I've been trying to work my way through all the categories but realised that this one is very sensitive. The other one I'm having problems with is Celebrities. How the heck do you ask decent questions about gossip?
      February 17, 2017 1:32 AM MST

• LOL ... Try to stay away from Hollywood celebs? Favorite celeb quotes perhaps? Favorite race car driver, celebs from the news, historical celebs, look alike celebs ... now my head hurts. You owe me a donut! :)

February 17, 2017 1:56 AM MST

• I'll try that. Thanks for your help. I'll email the donut. 
      February 17, 2017 2:39 AM MST

I'm more afraid of the run-up to it than the dying itself.  I wouldn't want to live past the point where I can't physically care for myself or my mind is like Swiss cheese. 
      February 17, 2017 7:45 AM MST

• Me neither. On another site somebody asked, "What would be the worst way to die?" The answers ranged from shark attacks and being torn apart by lions to drowning. I had no hesitation in giving a one-word answer: Alzheimers'. 
      February 17, 2017 3:10 PM MST

• We have a family member suffering from Alzheimers and it's a devastating disease which in heartbreaking for the whole family.  I think most people have a fear of ending up this way.
      February 17, 2017 11:31 PM MST

• I'm sorry to hear that. I've seen it happen to friends and it's dreadful. 
      February 17, 2017 11:48 PM MST

Yes, it is devastating. 
      February 18, 2017 8:21 AM MST

I agree and I'm fearful that with both parents having been diagnosed with dementia, my sisters and I may suffer the same fate. 
      February 18, 2017 8:20 AM MST

• It's scary, Spunky. Hopefully that will never happen.
      February 18, 2017 2:39 PM MST

Thank you.  I hope not, too, but it isn't something over which I have control, so I try not to worry about it. 
      February 18, 2017 5:33 PM MST

Some writers and journalists commenting on death and dying consider them "the last taboo". I would not go that far, but they have a point in their explanation that it is arguably now the most difficult topic of conversation for many people; and for any of many reasons.

If it's likely to upset you, then clearly you would not be likely to read AM's Death & Dying forum, still less post to it, but I can see it may help some by un-burdening and sharing experiences from behind the veil of the user-name. 
      March 16, 2017 9:56 PM MDT