Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How should retired people think of themselves?

How should retired people think of themselves?

Yeah, yeah, I know. I should know the answer to this. But...

I was once in an ophthalmologist's waiting room when a frail old man came in. He said to the receptionist, "I use to be an ophthalmologist." He sounded sad, as though his retirement meant that he was now a non-person.

How do you see yourself? How do you think you should view yourself when your working life is behind you?

Posted - February 16, 2017

Responses

• Sounds awful. Sorry to hear that.
      February 18, 2017 5:15 PM MST

• This is the result of having pissed away one's early adult years and not pursuing an education or marketable skill or knowledge.
      February 18, 2017 5:28 PM MST

People that were actually contributing to society. Now they are on a permanent vacation, but still contributing to a lesser degree. This post was edited by Zack at February 18, 2017 3:54 PM MST
      February 18, 2017 3:43 PM MST

When I was working, a fellow worker was about to retire. I asked him what will he do. He had planned ahead and had taken a course on how to prepare for retirement, He had his future all planned out. His hobbies and goals for his future.  Never did learn where he found this course, but I would advise everyone to take a similar class if they can find it. (I was forced to retire due to health, so never got to prepare, and it is hard to come home one day and have to think "What will I do now?"
    How should a retired person think about himself.. he should think about the future and what he can accomplish  with his hobbies and family etc. This post was edited by Maurice214 at February 18, 2017 5:43 PM MST
      February 18, 2017 3:54 PM MST

• That works for me. 

Sorry bout the ill health. That would have been a shock. My brother found it hard to retire. He was a labourer in a warehouse but was totally unprepared when the time came. It took him a few years to find his feet.
      February 18, 2017 5:44 PM MST

I have been on a campaign all my life against "consequent ignorance."...  (---Lack of due knowledge in a subject; sort of like Trump on international trade.)...

I also stand up for people who cannot stand up for themselves...

So even though I retired about 19 months ago, I'm always busy. 
      February 18, 2017 6:24 PM MST