Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Which do you prefer- A desktop or a laptop computer?

Which do you prefer- A desktop or a laptop computer?

Laptop :D Samsung released a new chromebook a few days ago that can also be used as a tablet , and it can run android apps (its not an android device but rather, Chrome OS that can run android apps). Im gonna buy the pro version in the next few months when its released. i like the idea of having the tablet/android experience but with a full fledged browser rather than an android version that android devices have. can't wait to add a 3rd chromebook to my collection. 

Posted - February 17, 2017

Responses

• I always use an ASUS desktop as I build them how I want them and a desktop is easy to modify and update components at any time!

February 17, 2017 2:28 PM MST

Yes
      February 17, 2017 2:44 PM MST

I have an all in one computer. It's the best of both worlds for me.
      February 17, 2017 2:49 PM MST

• It's like asking if you prefer to use a vegetable peeling knife or a carving knife ... They both have different purposes ... Same as tablets... They compliment each other rather than compete ... My thoughts anyway
      February 17, 2017 2:50 PM MST

• I'm with you. If I look at my tabs like a stand alone device or replacement they are pretty crappy but if I look at them as a peripheral addition they are pretty useful.
      February 17, 2017 3:01 PM MST

• Yep... And it's just downright unprofessional carrying a desk top into a meeting ... Tends to spoil the look of the outfit lol
      February 17, 2017 3:04 PM MST

• Oh come on.   Pushing that cart with a tower and dual monitors says you mean business.  It's not weird.
      February 17, 2017 4:37 PM MST

• That's true... But it's the amount of AA batteries you can go through in an hour!
      February 17, 2017 6:05 PM MST

• Tell me about it.  Thank science for lithium-ion cells.
      February 17, 2017 6:37 PM MST

• Yep the ol Li!
      February 17, 2017 6:45 PM MST

• Desktop but laptops are so convenient though.

Had a Chromebook but it just didn't cut it.  Glorified Android IMHO.
      February 17, 2017 2:57 PM MST

I've built all of my desktops from scratch and I'm almost always upgrading it. This post was edited by Zack at February 25, 2017 1:01 AM MST
      February 17, 2017 3:09 PM MST

• I am a laptop person... I loved my desktop, I loved that I could stick mottos and wise sayings all over the edges of the monitor, lol along with butterfly stickers.. but it meant I was isolated from my family...using a laptop means I can be available and still talk to them... I rarely watch tv but there was a cool documentary on this evening.. nature, Lake District.. I'd have missed it if I were stuck in some corner somewhere... it's probably more productive to have a desktop but I use my lappy for pleasure mostly :)

I have a tablet and phone that I have choc full of apps and I love those, I am seriously impressed at how much faster and easier it is to access internet with my newish phone, technology has def improved....

And to make this Trump related :P I always read my newspaper on the tablet.. it's more laid out like a newspaper on there.. less so on computer...
      February 17, 2017 3:30 PM MST

• If you check my profile page you'll see that I live in a ménage a trois with Mrs Didge and my laptop. If I tried to bring a desktop in as well there'd be all kinds of emotional fall out.

Seriously? I've been using laptops for the past 5 or 6 years and wouldn't want to go back to a desktop. They're so convenient.
      February 17, 2017 3:48 PM MST

• I've never found a laptop keyboard that I liked really.  I'm one of those that brings a regular keyboard with it.  Laptops don't have that nice "clicky" feel for me
      February 17, 2017 4:39 PM MST

all I have is a desktop iMac 
    no tablets
    no laptops
    oh just thought of something
    I do have an old mac laptop
    black and white
    big and heavy...haha

February 17, 2017 5:13 PM MST

• Black and white? Oh, boy! That's gotta be nearly as old as me. :)
      February 17, 2017 11:07 PM MST

I wote desktop every time. It is easy to upgrade or replace components in. Heck you can even install a different Operating System in it if you get tired of Windows or Android :-D
      February 17, 2017 5:33 PM MST

I sure could use a lap top for school. 
      February 17, 2017 5:42 PM MST

iPad and iPhone. ONLY. Or MacBookPro. ONLY APPLE. NO DESKTOP AND NO DVD OR CD READERS. EVER.
      February 17, 2017 6:13 PM MST

I have an old e-machine desktop which I seldom use.  I prefer my laptop.
      February 17, 2017 8:34 PM MST

• "Desktop" ... bought my first one and built the rest.
    White Box computers are the way to get what you want.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 28, 2017 11:06 AM MST
      February 17, 2017 9:57 PM MST

I remember the first time a desktop entered our home, all of us were obsessed it and one after another we would sit glued to it....then Papa realized this is too bad and each of us were showered with a new laptop....;))
      February 17, 2017 10:52 PM MST