Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you ever enjoy some really dark music?

Do you ever enjoy some really dark music?

What is your favourite?

I hope this works...trying to put in LOVE OF THE LOVELESS, sung by the Eels...have loved this since I first heard it.
On my computer, it looks like the YouTube video is too large for the screen? Did it come out okay?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luudV9WnQqM

Posted - February 18, 2017

Responses

It came out perfect. And to answer your question, yes I do. I'm loving Depeche Mode since ever, as goes for The Cure. There are so many songs to pick from, also lots of others from back then in the 80's. I looked in a different direction to add a song to my comment.

Link: https://youtu.be/M1Wwbw2gCcA This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 10:06 AM MST
      February 18, 2017 3:30 AM MST

• Yes! That song is just what I mean...she sings it from her guts, SapphicHeart.
      February 18, 2017 3:39 AM MST

She does, doesn't she. I love it. Oh and lots of her music, also from back in her Sugarcubes days. I think I've uploaded one of their songs inside the video section, and for sure I have Björk.
      February 18, 2017 3:51 AM MST

• This is one reason I posted the Q, SapphicHeart...hoping to learn about more of these fine artists who understand the beauty in darkness...ty
      February 18, 2017 11:52 AM MST

You're welcome. Liked the question very much. :-)
      February 18, 2017 1:47 PM MST

If you haven't seen it, I recommend to you both the director Lars von Trier's movie "Dancer in the Dark." It stars Bjork and it's the best movie I've ever seen, if I ever had to choose the best movie I've ever seen. And she wrote all the music for the movie. And she sings a lot in the movie. It's a dark musical type of thing.
    :)
      February 20, 2017 7:57 PM MST

• I just put DANCER onto my bucket list, WelbyQuentin...
      February 20, 2017 9:07 PM MST

It's a powerfully moving movie for me. I hope you find it a good movie if you see it!

UPDATE: I posted my favorite scene from the movie if you may be interested, under SapphicHeart's comment to my comment.
    The scene is not a plot spoiler. Bjork portrays a woman slowly going blind.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 23, 2017 10:08 AM MST
      February 21, 2017 9:50 AM MST

I haven't seen the movie, but I've both heard and read about it. Thank you Welby. :-)
      February 21, 2017 12:25 AM MST

You're welcome, SapphicHeart!
    It's a strong, very strong movie for me. I believe I've only been able to watch it twice. But an incredible masterpiece it is for me. And Catherine Deneuve is fantastic in it as Bjork's friend. The whole cast is great. But Deneuve I especially admire as an actress. And she might be the most beautiful actress I've ever seen. At any age. And she's been around since the 60's as you probably already know/heard of her.

It's not a plot spoiler and i might post my favorite scene in the movie.
    As you may know, since you've read and heard about the movie, Bjork portrays a woman slowly going blind.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 23, 2017 10:08 AM MST
      February 21, 2017 9:57 AM MST

I never heard that song but I'm not familiar with a lot of Bjork's music.
    I didn't catch all the lyrics here but I really like ~

"But this time I'm going to keep it to myself."

Thanks, SapphicHeart!
      February 21, 2017 10:20 AM MST

You're welcome, I'm glad moreover people find some pleasure in the song. Isn't that what sharing is all about? Yay! :-)
      February 21, 2017 2:27 PM MST

• I enjoyed that. Can't think of a parallel one to post.
      February 18, 2017 3:31 AM MST

• Dozy, I will post one for you then...this I got from Jaimie JT in the old hopefully bygone days of Blurtit...
    It is exquisitely dark, with the tenderest of silver light shining through...
    The song is Quelqu'un m'a dit, sung in French by Carla Bruni, but Jaimie found it on YouTube with English translations!

Okay, I think I can do this now, here you go...
      February 18, 2017 3:01 PM MST

• Ahhhhh :) you said got from me ... Thank you carry on my mosterest  favourite song :) happy you remwber it :) 
      February 18, 2017 5:21 PM MST

• The sub titles are a nice idea. Listening as I type. 
      February 20, 2017 8:35 PM MST

• Dozy, if you have not already, be sure at some point to go to Welby Quentin's post on this Q...a Polish composer, now 83, his given name (Krzysztof Penderecki) is a Polish form of Christopher, and he wrote a threnody (lament) for the victims of Hiroshima. 
    Nine unbelievable moments or remarkable "music."
      February 20, 2017 9:02 PM MST

Hello Virginia.  Nice to meet you.  That was a great question/song.  This one instantly popped into my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FywSzjRq0e4

February 18, 2017 5:30 AM MST

• omg Rooster, that is exquisite...he just got better with age, I like this even more than some of his greatest hits...
      February 18, 2017 11:49 AM MST

Me too!

psst...btw, it's me Harry, not Rooster. ;-)
      February 18, 2017 3:15 PM MST

• Harry I did double-check into this matter, and apparently you are absolutely correct there, you are not Rooster Cogburn after all!

Anything with Johnny Cash or John Wayne I always assume it ABSOLUTELY MUST be Rooster...and now I have met you...and hurrah for that too! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 20, 2017 8:15 PM MST
      February 18, 2017 3:18 PM MST

• This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 20, 2017 8:15 PM MST
      February 18, 2017 6:20 AM MST

• ty, I am going to come back later and listen to these more closely later...I remember Yosey (from Ask) truly loves Pink Floyd...
      February 18, 2017 11:54 AM MST

• Dear Rooster,
    I am glad I waited for leisure to really listen to these...the Pink Floyd definitely YES to darkness, but I especially loved the Blackened Soul...

Pleased I posted this Q, some really soul-satisfying pieces came in...did you see Harry's song from an elderly Johnny Cash? So different from most of his earlier work - it's wonderful - at first, I thought you were the one to post it!
      February 18, 2017 5:34 PM MST