Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How much personal information do you publish on the Internet?

How much personal information do you publish on the Internet?

On answerMug, or on sites like Facebook or Google +, how much do you share? Do you share embarrassing things? Do you perceive any dangers in revealing too much?

Posted - February 18, 2017

Responses

• I share a lot of my life's moments, good and bad, but I never share my identity.
      February 18, 2017 7:51 PM MST

• I'd say the same except that I occasionally paste a link to my book, and that's a giveaway. 
      February 18, 2017 8:00 PM MST

• You're a famous published author. People should know your name.
      February 18, 2017 8:10 PM MST

• I think the word you're looking for is "infamous", Flo.
      February 18, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• Well, at least your famous in my neighborhood and in my family. It must be the 8 foot tall copy of your book hanging on the side of my house.
      February 18, 2017 8:22 PM MST

(you're)
      February 18, 2017 8:23 PM MST

• Bite me.
      February 18, 2017 8:24 PM MST

• Randy's the aM Jiminy Cricket, Flo. Keeps us all honest. :)
      February 18, 2017 8:26 PM MST

• LOL :D
      February 18, 2017 8:26 PM MST

I missed one:

(8-foot)
      February 18, 2017 8:27 PM MST

• Bit me, again.
      February 18, 2017 8:31 PM MST

In my immediate neighborhood and in my family as well Not Flo.  In fact, my mom bought another copy of his book and donated it to her library so others could read.  I did the same and it is a big library.
      February 18, 2017 9:00 PM MST

• I had to buy another copy. I loaned my copy out and it started to make the rounds in the family. I live on the East coast and I believe my copy is now in the San Diego area. It's more traveled than me.
      February 18, 2017 9:07 PM MST

Right On Flo!  Way to spread the word!!!  Well Done!!!  :) :) 
      February 18, 2017 9:11 PM MST

You all know too much about me already.
      February 18, 2017 8:11 PM MST

• We do reveal a lot of personal stuff, don't we. But, as Flo pointed out, it's still anonymous.
      February 18, 2017 8:13 PM MST

Very little. I am on Facebook but I don't post on there.
      February 18, 2017 8:14 PM MST

• I have an anonymous FB account that I rarely use. It's just a way of gaining access if I need information there. It's linked to an anonymous email address.
      February 18, 2017 8:18 PM MST

Several years ago on AnswerBag, a new acquaintance posted a question about people's Zodiac signs.  I answered in my usual cagey and guarded way, not divulging much about myself, more of a general answer about my Zodiac sign.  (By the way, I do not follow the Zodiac.)  She went on to say that she was a true believer in the Zodiac, and that she used it as an ice-breaker to get to know things about people.  She commented that she wanted me to be more specific in my answer, to include not only my sign, but also my exact date of birth.  When I declined, she made another attempt by explaining to me that she herself had for years shared almost any and every personally identifying detail about herself on several online venues, and that she had never suffered a negative incident as a result.  I still declined, stating that her decision was just that; her decision, and that not everyone has the same outlook on sharing their private information.  The fact that she decided one way doesn't dictate my opinion.

I share certain anecdotes, but I change the names and the places to protect the guilty, namely, but not limited to; ME.

~
      February 18, 2017 8:17 PM MST

• Wise decision. Like you I tend to change the names when I post an anecdote. So many of them would be embarrassing to the people concerned.
      February 18, 2017 8:21 PM MST

depends on where im at
      February 18, 2017 8:24 PM MST

• True. I share much more on a site like this than on one where I can be positively identified.
      February 18, 2017 8:27 PM MST

• Too much.
      February 18, 2017 8:36 PM MST

• Dear Dozy,

Well as you know, I got trolled on Blurtit...and that gave me pause...I have no idea what I did to attract that troll's ire.

So now I share a little less than I did.
    I still put the name of the town where I live here on aMug, but I don't put my last name any more...
    I tend to be rather trusting, even after 72 years of disillusionment...I will always believe very much in people and their essential beauty, but just a bit more cautiously than before.

However embarrassing things, sure! I hardly even care any more about embarrassment... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 18, 2017 9:51 PM MST
      February 18, 2017 8:45 PM MST