Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How do you feel about society just seeing people for their labels?

How do you feel about society just seeing people for their labels?

In this case I'm talking about mental disorders. I suffer from anxiety but it's really hard for me to open up to people at school/work without them seeing me with a label than as a whole person. What's your opinion on this?

Posted - February 18, 2017

Responses

• Unfortunate but inevitable.

I've been close to this sort of thing for a very long time. My daughter started life as a male (she's 56 now) and both she and we have had to cope with all kinds of judgmental rubbish, mostly from people who have no troubles of their own and who think we should all find things as easy as they do. 

I don't think there's a solution. You just need to build up some emotional armour so that they can't touch you. When a dog barks at me I don't get upset, he's just being a dog. When a bigot barks at me I just mentally relegate him (her) to the status of dog and disregard him. And, yeah, I know, that's a slur on dogs.
      February 18, 2017 10:04 PM MST

Think of it this way. You're perfectly flawed and if you aren't ready to tell someone about your diagnosis, you don't have to. Labels exist, but only if you believe in them.
      February 18, 2017 10:13 PM MST

If you project a label that is readily apparent, then of course people will see you with that label. First impressions are inevitable and all humans are subject to that. It's an evolutionary trait that contributes to survival.

However, humans are also capable of getting beyond first impressions and developing stable, often loving, relationships regardless of a "label".

Btw, I've seen several of your other posts here and you clearly have a way of expressing yourself that is very clever and very funny. If some people can't get past your anxiety, that's their loss, not yours.  
      February 19, 2017 1:27 AM MST