Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » Can You Read This? What Is the Name For It?

Can You Read This? What Is the Name For It?

This is actually a reprise of a marvelous question from the old days of Ask.com...it was 2011...

It has to do with brain research...that no matter how scrambled the words, our splendid brains seem to work it out...and so your mission should you choose,
(1) can you read this, and
(2) do you know the name for this kind of scrambling?

"I cdn'uolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg: the phaonmneel pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. "

Posted - February 18, 2017

Responses

• Dear Echooos! aMug feeling more like 'home' all the time...
      February 20, 2017 10:26 PM MST

I have heard of it, but there was never a name attatched. Lets just call it 'pattern matching'.

It operates in many other settings, a pretty good example is curtains moving in the evening breeze that touch you and make you suddenly convinced there is a ghost standing there.

February 19, 2017 5:46 AM MST

Virginia,
    Good to see you!
      February 19, 2017 5:50 AM MST

• Hey there, beautiful Tiger Paws!
      February 19, 2017 8:31 PM MST

Hi, Virginia.

I don't know the name for it, sorry.....(But it's some sort of Gestalt type thing probably.)...

The latest edition of Brain in the News from the DANA foundation has some information in it on studies that are being undertaken to understand how the brain recognizes the faces of the people we know....

Brain in the News is a free publication that you can subscribe to....I know how much you enjoy learning, so I thought I would pass this on...

It is not forwardable by the Postal Service if you move, so just be sure to keep your address updated with them....

Regards... This post was edited by tom jackson at February 20, 2017 10:27 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 10:49 AM MST

• Tom I see I did not even answer your post...but I remember reading it...prolly got all wrapped up taking in that information about the DANA foundation...

Oh...I want to mention to you also, in my 'time off,' I ordered the ADD book you liked from the local library, and just got the notice it has come in...so looking forward to that, too!
      February 20, 2017 10:31 PM MST

Great---enjoy.
      February 21, 2017 2:30 PM MST

• I've read somewhere that if the first and last letters of a word are in their proper places, the sequence of the intermediate letters does not hamper the experienced reader in deciphering the message. 

February 19, 2017 7:09 PM MST

• Dear Wisdom Tooth,
    Yes i read that also, quite fascinating, as more becomes known of our wonderful trillion-something-synapse brains!
      February 19, 2017 8:33 PM MST