Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Does EVERYTHING depend on something? When you respond to a question with "it depends" that is not an answer. Why is it given so often?

Does EVERYTHING depend on something? When you respond to a question with "it depends" that is not an answer. Why is it given so often?

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

• It may simply be that on sites like this everybody likes to join in. Some are less knowledgeable than others so they things like, "It depends" or "I don't know" just to be a part o the process. 
      February 19, 2017 6:36 AM MST

Not everything.  Unfortunately, the majority of your questions aren't as cut and dry to the rest of us as you believe they are. Therefore, it behooves you to clarify IF you are at all truly interested in receiving thoughtful responses.  But, I am getting the distinct impression that thoughtful discussion is not something you want to engage in. ;-)
      February 19, 2017 6:42 AM MST

• Ya think?
      February 19, 2017 6:45 AM MST

• It depends is most certainly an answer. Especially when there is elaboration for the circumstances.
    Not everything is a binary black/white, yes/no, good/bad dynamic.

You ask pseudo-questions in broad and sweeping generalizations and that's what you get.  Just because someone doesn't fall for your trap to agree with you doesn't mean they didn't answer. 
    You might want to take a lesson from what my Granny taught us as kids.  " Don't ask a question if you aren't going to like the answer.  The answers aren't meant to make you happy." Asking a "question" ( as you call them) and then getting upset because people may not give the answer you wanted to hear is on you and getting snarky with them over it is the acme of arrogance and belittlement.  A bully tactic.
      February 19, 2017 6:52 AM MST

Gee, that bully tactic certainly sounds like someone else we know but I can't remember their name at the moment.  Someone in the public eye.  Someone who gets angry and lashes out when they aren't agreed with, someone who interprets things in a way that fits into their agenda, someone who wants everyone to just agree with them or else they are dismissed and viewed as foes.  Who am I trying to think of?  It's right there on the tip of my tongue but for the life of me I just can't remember.
      February 19, 2017 7:03 AM MST

• I think I know who you mean.  What the hell is his name?
      February 19, 2017 7:05 AM MST

Wow.  This is going to drive me nuts all day now.  I will probably remember it later in the week.  Let me know pronto when you think you remember.
      February 19, 2017 7:07 AM MST

• Hopefully someone or somefew mention his name three dozen times in the next hour so we can remember.
      February 19, 2017 7:08 AM MST

Could it be, oh, I don't know -------- SATAN?
      February 19, 2017 8:52 AM MST

• Some answers may depend on circumstances, therefor, the "That depends" answer is deployed. Like, if you asked me, do you wake up grumpy or full of life and vigor? My answer would be, That depends. That would depend on whether I got enough sleep the previous night, am I stressed about something going on in my life, am I sick.....If I got enough sleep, I'm not stressed and I'm not sick, I wake up in a decent mood....throw in the other factors and I wake up making Grumpy Cat look like Mother Theresa. Not every question can be answered with a Yes/No answer.
      February 19, 2017 7:52 AM MST