Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Roe of Roe v Wade has died at 69. Did you know she never had the abortion and later fought for years on the ProLife side?

Roe of Roe v Wade has died at 69. Did you know she never had the abortion and later fought for years on the ProLife side?

Her actual name was Norma McCorvey. 

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

Yes.  I remember the case very well.  She was too far along to have an abortion at the time.  She gave the baby up for adoption.  

She later became an evangelical Christian and with that conversion, completely changed her stance on the issue. 
      February 19, 2017 6:31 AM MST

I didn't know all of the facts until yesterday when her death prompted renewed retelling of her story. 
    ~
      February 19, 2017 6:36 AM MST

• She had a horrible and chaotic life.  While I generally agree with Roe vs Wade ( other than it not being left to the states and making it somehow about Constitutionality) I think she very likely was manipulated into being the poster child for the cause as she has always stated.   The virtue of the ruling aside there's a lot to support the notion that she was  used as a pawn.
      February 19, 2017 8:33 AM MST

Her attorneys were activists and were plaintiff shopping when they found her.   The Roe case is entirely about Constitutionality.  The case was not about abortion.  The case was brought through Federal Court on the Constitutional question of the right to privacy in controlling one's body.  The Court did not want to authorize abortion but had no choice to rule on the issue before them any  way other than the way they did. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 19, 2017 4:01 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 3:53 PM MST

•    If that was the case then the War on Drugs would be thrown out.  Which is clearly a violation of the Constitution.
    I can't find one good reason that abortion should be illegal, but still. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 19, 2017 4:00 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 3:56 PM MST

The War on Drugs is not a case.  To compare it to Roe is chaotic thinking.  
      February 19, 2017 4:13 PM MST

• Not at all, based on the theory " right to privacy in controlling one's body".

It's not chaotic.  It's logical thinking.
      February 19, 2017 4:15 PM MST

Good point!

~
      February 19, 2017 4:15 PM MST