Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Is Hugh Jackman the greatest actor of our time?

Is Hugh Jackman the greatest actor of our time?

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

• I do believe that my 'our time' came before him.  Actually heard his name but can't name one thing he was in. So I will go back to my cave now.
      February 19, 2017 2:07 PM MST

• Dear Swoop62,

I enjoyed your answer very much...as well as relate to it!
    I also do believe I have also heard of Brother Hugh here...but not sure...education from aMug, now I can go Google him, however!
      February 19, 2017 2:23 PM MST

• Thanks for the kind words.  You can file a report in triplicate on Hugh. :)  And if I pick a favorite actor ever  could not decide between Clint Eastwood and Paul Newman.  Newman is likely the better actor but I remain loyal to Clint and his movies.
      February 19, 2017 4:41 PM MST

• Hi Swoop62,
    I, also, have always loved the work of Paul Newman unequivocally...just really great...

I would actually prefer NOT to admire Clint Eastwood, kinda because of his Dirty Harry persona, maybe...always a bit superior...however the quality of his acting is just incontrovertible. 

First movie I ever saw with Eastwood was in 1967, THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY...and I still recall its power. Also established Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach in my heart forever, also!
    Anyway, I just Googled that movie, and turns out it is now considered one of the finest movies ever...so I remain unable to deny the immense talent of Clint Eastwood. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 8:01 AM MST
      February 19, 2017 5:25 PM MST

• No.  Not even close.
      February 19, 2017 2:11 PM MST

• Dear Glis,

May I ask then who you would nominate?
    I love movies...but have not kept up with recent ones, tending to head for TCM...so please, if you have a name do give his/her great movie also?
      February 19, 2017 3:05 PM MST

• Off the top of my head I would say Morgan Freeman has Hugh Jackman beat.

Honestly I can't think of anything Jackman has done that is all that mentionable or impressive.
      February 19, 2017 3:12 PM MST

• Oh...yes...Morgan Freeman...complete joy in his immense talent.
    I used to play a DVD of MARCH OF THE PENGUINS - which he only narrated! - whenever I needed to just calm down, a bit more centered.
      February 19, 2017 5:13 PM MST

Possibly but not in the usual sense.
    My gaydar has always gone BeepBeepBeep! with him. I think he "acts" like a straight guy in real life pretty well I guess.
    It is probably just wishful thinking (though why I would even care is questionable on my part) but he has always struck me as a gay guy.

In the strictest sense, I think Montgomery Clift may have been the greatest actor of any time. (Yeah, I know -- he enjoyed men, too.)

The End of my useless, needless rude answer.
      February 19, 2017 3:04 PM MST

• Certainly would agree with your nomination of Montgomery Clift...
      February 19, 2017 3:07 PM MST

Thanks, VirginiaL!
    Clift simply stuns me in any role I've seen in his movies. I've not seen all of his movies but words fail me in describing his talent. I base my respect for him especially on the movies "A Place in the Sun" and "Judgment at Nuremberg." Just those two performances are heads-and-tails above most every other actor I can think of. I need to watch more of his stuff. He blew me away the first time I saw him in a movie ("A Place in the Sun.")

Guy Pearce would be my selection for of a more recent choice. Maybe I should submit an answer with him.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 19, 2017 5:09 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 3:15 PM MST

Guy Pearce would be my choice as a best current actor probably.

He chooses interesting, diverse roles/films and I find his portrayals believable and honest. He's one of those actors who almost physically transforms himself, depending on the role. (And I don't mean that just in gaining or losing weight.)

:)

February 19, 2017 3:20 PM MST

I like Guy Pearce and think he is certainly in the running.  

BUT, I think Daniel Day Lewis is the greatest of our time.   
      February 19, 2017 4:58 PM MST

Yay, Guy!
    :)

(Yes, D D Lewis is really good, too)
      February 19, 2017 8:32 PM MST

• Never heard of Hugh Jackman, but it's Dustin Hoffman for me. 
      February 19, 2017 5:40 PM MST

• Not the greatest... but certainly good with a presence
      February 19, 2017 6:46 PM MST

At the moment he seems to be.
      February 19, 2017 8:35 PM MST