Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What Is The Universe Made Of?

What Is The Universe Made Of?

I watched a (fascinating) discussion between two scientists yesterday...both atheists, but one of the scientists was based in the very special spin that Buddhism gives to science. So here is a verse that the Buddhist brought up, and I have been thinking about it...so are atoms more fundamental to the elemental structure of the universe or is it stories, or is it something else? 

The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

~ Muriel Rukeyser (1913-1980), in her poem “Speed of Darkness.”

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

• My answer is..... I don't know! But yes, I agree it's interesting to think about..   I love science, well some of it, and I love Buddhism, well some of it.. I kinda never felt they had much in common...  I suppose, if pushed for an answer, I'd say the universe is made of atoms.. and the stories are merely our own interpretation of the universe
      February 19, 2017 1:50 PM MST

.. and atoms are made up of particles and particles are expressions of will from not this universe.
      February 19, 2017 1:58 PM MST

• Hi DDBTD, 
    Thank you, it's a thoughtful answer, and quite interesting too...i love the idea of stories as our own interpretation!
      February 19, 2017 2:05 PM MST

The electromagnetic spectrum or bands of different types of emanating particles some of which orbiting each other and bonded in tight formations to create what we perceive of as matter. This post was edited by O-uknow at February 19, 2017 2:06 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 1:53 PM MST

• Thank you O-uknow...I especially appreciate the way you worked in our perceptions there!
      February 19, 2017 2:07 PM MST

Some of the particles really are bonded to form atoms and those atoms bonded to form molecules which are organized to form what we see as objects or matter.
      February 19, 2017 2:21 PM MST

• I actually answered this question on another site but I've been plauing nice here. Ah, Virginia, you bring out the Devil in me. Without wishing to minimise your excellent question, which would be churlish of me, here's  an excerpt from Didge's Gospel:

The Book of Beginnings:
    1:1 In the beginning before all things were created, was a Being who inhabited the All-There-Is; and his name was Aye, for he was One.
    1:2 Aye was an Epicurean, nay, he was THE Epicurean, and his larder was a cornucopia of culinary delights.
    1:3 And Aye feasted.
    1:4 Without pausing for sleep or rest he ate continuously for six days and six nights, and then he was filled.
    1:5 And on the evening of the sixth day he was no longer able to retain all that he had consumed and a mighty explosion occurred.
    1:6 The stars were born, and the planets, and all that there is, and they sped from him at enormous speeds, forming constellations in the firmament.
    1:7 And Aye collapsed in intoxicated slumber and lo, it was the seventh day.

So you see, science and religion are wholly compatible.

February 19, 2017 1:59 PM MST

• Oh thank heaven for the Real Skinny, well that settles THAT, then...
    Dozy I remember as a child around nine, I was sleeping in our yard by the Willapa River, looked up at the stars...
    Well I had just learned the concept of cells as biological units of life, and I thought, "Maybe these stars are all cells in the body of God!"

And I did not know how right I was, until here you have published this definitive and authoritative gospel, clearly integrating the mysteries of science and religion...

Maybe you have also explained why the universe can kinda stink sometimes...
      February 19, 2017 2:13 PM MST

• Maybe it's only my answer that stinks, Virginia. :)
      February 19, 2017 2:44 PM MST

• I have never seen a low-quality answer from you.
      February 19, 2017 3:09 PM MST

• Aww... 
      February 19, 2017 3:26 PM MST

• Data. It's all data.
      February 19, 2017 2:04 PM MST

• Four words, Glis...and you said so much...leaving my imagination to spiral off...ty!
      February 19, 2017 2:08 PM MST

• Aww shucks.
      February 19, 2017 2:13 PM MST

On this side of life the universe is material stuff else how could we eat to sustain life, reproduce and evolve.
    'Course yes there is space, energy, many different kinds of tiny particles that make up the material stuff..

On the other side it may be a whole different dimension of existence; different dimension of awareness. 
      February 19, 2017 2:09 PM MST

• Kittigate, ty, and I just have to ask then...this other side, is that where the stories might figure more in the fabric of existence?
      February 19, 2017 2:17 PM MST

I am inclined to think a form of consciousness is the fabric of existence on the other side; a consciousness sans awareness of time memory or material stuff.

What stories are you referring to? 
      February 19, 2017 2:31 PM MST

• Hi Kittigate,

Well I am kinda waxing philosophical after watching that discussion yesterday...and so I am thinking of STORIES in terms of myth, fantasy...any story meaningful to someone.

My good friend wrote an article quoting Tolstoy, for example:
    "There are stories, fables... where fabulous events are described that have never happened...and yet which are true because they show where the highest truth can be found."

I like Ask.com and aMug for stuff like this, people often bring such new and intriguing perspective...like your fascinating idea of consciousness as the fabric of existence on the other side...and so then I wonder, well maybe this side too? What's really the difference?

(Sigh) ...maybe we are solving the mysteries of life right here on aMug, do you think

February 19, 2017 2:55 PM MST

Difference is that we have a body, mind, brain as well as the senses sight, hearing,  feeling,  taste and smell to enable us to survive and thrive an earthly 3 dimensional existence. 

Consciousness is the basis or root of life; enables a living species to develop from what is considered to be non-living matter. 
    Transition of non-living matter to life (abiogenesis) where and when conditions are suitable 

That is my thought on the matter anyway. 
      February 19, 2017 8:42 PM MST

• Dear Kittigate,
    You have clearly given some thought to this, and I appreciate and enjoy your comments...ty
      February 19, 2017 9:19 PM MST

"We create the world with our thoughts"
    ...Buddha
    From the "Play of Consciousness"
    "Oh Siddha students, the universe is yours.
    You are the Soul of the universe.
    The changes, permutations, and combinations
    of the universe arise from you. They are yours.
    As the soul of the universe, you are perfect.
    Keep on remembering that the universe is your own grandeur.

just as the ocean remains an ocean
    even when it breaks into waves
    in the same way
    As long as you are aware that the whole universe
    is your own splendor, you will realize your Godhood
    and remain in that realization despite your tendency
    to see the universe as separate from yourself."

He who knows all this glory of manifestation as his own,
    who realizes the entire cosmos in his Self, is divine,
    even though thoughts may play in his mind."
    ...Swami Muktananda

What I have experienced is that
    when thought ceases
    the world disappears,
    and what remains is that which
    is the essence of life (the Absolute, (God))
    which is within all we see in the phenomenal world,
    but is not realized.

Welcome to the site VirginiaL
    Didge Told us all of his great friend that was coming
    Cheers and good to see you...
      February 19, 2017 3:30 PM MST

• Dear Baba,
    What a lovely welcome you are giving, ty!
      February 19, 2017 3:36 PM MST

Wheat bread
      February 19, 2017 3:33 PM MST

• Hurrah, fir "just the facts, Ma'am"...
    Lovely elemental answer, Thriftymaid.
      February 19, 2017 3:37 PM MST