Active Now

Randy D
Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever, as either child or adult, won an award or trophy you were particularly proud of?

Have you ever, as either child or adult, won an award or trophy you were particularly proud of?

What was it?  Have you ever won something unexpected that would normally have been out of your field?

Posted - February 19, 2017

Responses

I got an award from the mayor of Baltimore for perfect attendance. That was a long time ago.
      February 19, 2017 6:42 PM MST

• Sounds like it. Do you still have it?
      February 19, 2017 6:48 PM MST

I lost it in a move to another home.
      February 19, 2017 6:51 PM MST

• I was kinda proud of some of the awards I got when I was a Scout.
      February 19, 2017 6:54 PM MST

• I wanted to join the scouts but never had the opportunity. Must have been good. 
      February 19, 2017 7:03 PM MST

Same deal here.
      February 19, 2017 7:08 PM MST

• It was for awhile. I lost interest as a I got older and left.   There was a lot of community service, but it was kinda fun because it was  as a group.  The best part though was getting free YMCA time, getting to go on monthly camping trips ( more when school was out), going to workshops for trades, the council had a schooner the troops could use for sailing trips.  There was a lot of things it allowed me to do that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise and learned a lot of skills fro it.
    Then there was the Jamborees were you got to meet and spend camping trips with several councils and hundreds of troops from all over the US and Canada.  Maybe an odd few that was from the UK. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 20, 2017 3:01 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 7:10 PM MST

• ( for zack too)

Was there just no troop in your are or were you not allowed/ family couldn't find time and way to manage expense for it?
      February 19, 2017 7:16 PM MST

I don't think my parents had the money for all of that stuff, but at the time, I was going to mail pennies. Don't think I had enough pennies to join.
      February 19, 2017 7:22 PM MST

• Ahh that sucks.  Too late now but were programs for that.  That was one of the service things you did in Scouts. Raise money for the kids who's families couldn't afford the dues and uniforms.  Though we never knew who was who with that.
      February 19, 2017 7:39 PM MST

• We were broke, Glis. There was no money for things like that. Dad had been unemployed during the Great Depression and lost our house. He never got back on his feet again and things like sport or holidays were beyond us. Even a day at the beach was a luxury.
      February 19, 2017 7:55 PM MST

• I was kinda guessing it was something along those lines. My grandmother had a lot of stories about that time.  One that sticks out was when her and here siblings almost went without a Christmas dinner until someone donated a pound of Bologna for some sandwiches and they were so happy they had some meat for a change.
    How hard to the Depression hit Oz btw?
      February 19, 2017 7:59 PM MST

• From my own experience, and that of my families, compared to what I've read about the same period in the US, I'd say they were both very bad. Perhaps on a par.
      February 19, 2017 8:04 PM MST

• Please don't anybody tell Randy I put "families". :(
      February 19, 2017 8:18 PM MST

• The only good thing my Grandmother really had to say about that time was that people looked out for each other. She would tell some stories about her whole neighborhood eating together so what little each had could be combined. Someone having some game meat they shot, someone having some garden veggies, another might have some fruit kinda thing. Someone lending you some coal. She said that's how they all survived.
    As a kid hearing the stories I couldn't quite wrap my head around how serious it was.
      February 19, 2017 8:21 PM MST

• Dad pushed a wheelbarrow, loaded with tools and a bed bag, more than 100 miles over the mountains to prospect for gold. He got a little; not much. But. yeah, the friendships and support were strong.
      February 19, 2017 9:02 PM MST

• Woah! Men were men back then.
      February 19, 2017 9:08 PM MST

• I also have a Perfect Attendance award and I won three consecutive Geography Bees. They weren't unexpected though :P
      February 19, 2017 7:15 PM MST

• Nice one!
    I used to win spelling bees but there were no awards for them. 
      February 19, 2017 7:56 PM MST

• "Yes, I've won trophies." Viewing them as a reminder of the accomplishment, I'm sure I was proud of them.
    I won trophies in the sport of Drag Racing and in the sport of Bowling.

February 19, 2017 7:27 PM MST

• These are well worth looking back on although, if you're like me, it's rare that you notice them. 
      February 19, 2017 7:57 PM MST

• I'm not sure I have any of the trophies left, but the memories are still there. :)
      February 19, 2017 8:02 PM MST

The first trophy I ever won was for winning my class at an AMA National motorcycle drag race. I also won the city mini golf couples championship with my wife.
      February 19, 2017 9:57 PM MST

• National! Well done!
      February 19, 2017 10:14 PM MST