Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Who should be blamed for the loss of flight MH17 over the Ukraine?

Who should be blamed for the loss of flight MH17 over the Ukraine?

The Russians appear responsible for firing the rocket; the Ukrainians appear to be responsible for looting the plane; but what about Malaysian Airlines? What is their complicity in routing the flight through a war zone to save on aviation fuel?

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

The evidence for a Russian missile being fired from land held by Ukrainian rebels is pretty convincing, Indeed, we know the actual launcher, the route it took from Russia and where the missile was fired from.
    All of these are a matter of record (and with some very convincing INDEPENDENT photographs and corroboration).

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure no-one is flying over Eastern Ukraine right now. Attaching blame to the Malaysian Airline is fair, but really some Russian(s) with half a brain fired the missile and he/they bear 90% of the responsibility.

The Russians, incidentally, have come up with 4 different explanations, and of course none of them involve themselves.

The West has shot down airliners by accident too, but has admitted when that has happened (with a lame excuse, it has to be said).

Freedom of the press in the West (no matter what you think of the way that freedom is used) ensures that eventually the truth always comes out. For good or ill. Worrying to see that freedom under attack. This post was edited by Plingsby at February 20, 2017 2:24 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 2:03 AM MST

• A few years ago I looked up the number of civil aircraft shot down by sometimes friendly (sic) military powers. I was surprised at how many incidents there were. But you're right, of course. Virtually all the blame lies with Russia but I don't believe it required hindsight to see that danger was there. 

I wasn't trying to give equal blame to Malaysian Airlines but they surely have to accept their share of it.  Thanks for the answer.
      February 20, 2017 2:18 AM MST

I dread to think about the number of warzones I must have flown over.

I remember on a flight I took during the height of the troubles in the former Yugoslavia, the pilot coming onto the PA explaining that we had had to change course to avoid a storm over Bosnia. So, if it had not been stormy, I guess we'd have flown over the whole thing.

Granted, that war did not involve much in the way of missiles and air combat, but I don't think we realized that the Ukrainian insurrection did either. This post was edited by Plingsby at February 20, 2017 2:24 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 2:45 AM MST

The Russians did it. Of that, there is no question. It has also been stated that other airlines avoided flying over the area, so the Malaysian airline in question was taking a somewhat negligent attitude to passenger safety. I find US President Trump's attitude to Putin, the culprit here, and also of so many other things, ignoring the advice of everyone else on the subject of Putin and Russia, deeply disturbing.
      February 20, 2017 5:17 AM MST

• Agree on all counts, Harry. You'd expect a man who has achieved his success in business to be highly intelligent but is clearly not so. Perhaps being unscrupulous is enough. 
      February 20, 2017 12:17 PM MST

I don't believe they have any blame.
    There was no statement from either side that civilians planes would be targeted, or that there was any "no fly zone".
    The plane was following a set, civilian route with a transponder "blaring" that they were a civilian flight.

It is against the Geneva Conventions to target non-combatants.
    So there should be war crime charges against everyone involved in targeting that flight, and firing the missile.

btw - The US Navy still has not taken official responsibility for shooting down Iran Air Flight 655, in 1988.  (mistaking an Airbus A300 for an F-14 Tomcat?  Bullshit)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
      February 23, 2017 2:02 PM MST

Humans may never know who is responsible for this atrocity as well as the rest of all injustices and crimes against mankind, however the God of the universe has seen everything. He will deal with the likes of these and others soon! (Amos 4:12)
      February 23, 2017 11:19 PM MST