Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is the Good Samaritan somebody we should try to emulate?

Is the Good Samaritan somebody we should try to emulate?

For 2,000 years he has been the epitome of the good neighbour yet, in modern times, police warn against getting involved when a crime is being committed. Many wannabe Samaritans are injured or killed by criminals What's your stance -- good neighbour or self preservation?

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

• "I don't think we know the answer to that question until the moment comes."
      February 20, 2017 2:29 AM MST

• I got myself involved in something like that once. I was lucky to get out of it with a clean skin.
      February 20, 2017 3:19 AM MST

In general I believe most everyone wants to be a good Samaritan. However in this day and age caution is the key word. As Alf writes no one can really answer that question till the situation arises. 
      February 20, 2017 3:19 AM MST

• Sometimes circumstances drive you and instinct takes over. 

There was a scene in Almost An Angel where Paul Hogan, a career criminal recently released from prison, is killed saving a child from certain death in a motor accident. He gets to Heaven and meets God who is somewhat caustic about his lifestyle. Hogan says, "But I gave my life for that little boy." To which God replies, "Rubbish. That was pure instinct. If you'd thought about it, you'd never have done it."

I think a lot of these sacrifices are the result of reflex action rather than heroic intention.
      February 20, 2017 3:29 AM MST

• "Instinct takes over" ... I believe that's what we meant by till the situation arises .... and I really liked that movie!
    Did you see "Lightning Jack?" (another Paul Hogan movie)

February 20, 2017 3:50 AM MST

• No, I missed that one.
      February 20, 2017 3:54 AM MST

• Do you have to set your font family every time you comment or does it stay that way until you change it?
      February 20, 2017 3:38 AM MST

• I asked about that when I first joined. I thought there may have been some way to set a default font. I was told that it would have to be done every time. The only one I change now is the font in my blog.
      February 20, 2017 3:53 AM MST

• Thanks ...
      February 20, 2017 4:17 AM MST