Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » How well do you know Sweden: How about authors?

How well do you know Sweden: How about authors?

Category: Sweden.

Let's make it about Swedish authors today, shall we?

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

• Only read a couple of books by Stieg Larsson and they were pretty good. Different, that's for sure.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 20, 2017 2:10 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 6:27 AM MST

Yes. Great one. Did you know he left left about three quarters of a fourth novel by his death?
      February 20, 2017 7:20 AM MST

• I think he planned a longer series than that, SH. I hope somebody picks them up from where Lagercrantz left off. It was a darned shame that Larsson died before enjoying his success.
      February 20, 2017 4:30 PM MST

I believe you're right. I'm only saying that three quarters of a book four was/is already written. His widow and his family had/have an huge dispute. I'm not aware if they have settled some kind of agreement by now.
      February 20, 2017 4:34 PM MST

• Hi Sapphic Heart,

I don't know many Swedish authors...a deficiency for me, my ancestry is Swedish!

Steig Larsson of course, but have not read anything by Lars Kepler...

I have been very much intrigued by Emanuel Swedenborg, however, said to be the world's last true polymath (pantomath?) - anyway, he lived in a time when it was still possible to know essentially everything...and did so...plus all the stuff about divine revelation...

August Strindberg, Selma Lagerlöf, Astrid Lindgren author of Pippi Longstocking...and Ingmar Bergman, who wrote a book about his films.
      February 20, 2017 7:11 AM MST

You know about some, and I'd bet more than average will. As for Lars Kepler, it's actual not one author but two... Makes it quite fascinating to read their material. A copy of the intro around them inside Wikipedia:

Lars Kepler is the pen name for the Swedish literary couple Alexander Ahndoril and Alexandra Coelho Ahndoril.[1] Each had previously published; together they write crime novels in the mystery fiction-thriller genre.[2]
      February 20, 2017 7:16 AM MST

• Sapphic Heart that is indeed quite intriguing...well it is only 6:30 AM here PST, and I have already learned something new, ty!
      February 20, 2017 7:33 AM MST

You're very much welcome, and I'm sure you already know more about Sweden than the POTUS, and apparently also all of his closest advisers. Sighs.
      February 20, 2017 7:37 AM MST

• I can only list two. Stieg Larsson for his Dragon Tattoo trilogy and David Lagercrantz who wrote the fourth book and, in my opinion, was better. He doesn't seem interested in continuing; I hope he changes his mind.

There was a great deal of background information that propvided an interesting glimpse of modern Sweden and some aspects of recent history. 
      February 20, 2017 4:28 PM MST

I find it must be hard to step into and take over someone's authorship. More so, it means you might neglect your own, he will always be the stand-in. Hmm.
      February 20, 2017 4:40 PM MST