Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Randy D
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Business » Your worker show does not show up that day to participate in a protest. Do you fire your employee or just give a warning? Why?

Your worker show does not show up that day to participate in a protest. Do you fire your employee or just give a warning? Why?

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

The way your question is worded, it can be construed that the protest is what the worker was expected to participate in as part of assigned work duties. 

Just sayin'
    _
      February 20, 2017 7:53 AM MST

Knowing that the protests were pre-arranged, if my worker arranged a vacation day ahead of time, it wouldn't be an issue.  If he/she was normally a good & responsible worker, and decided at the last minute to call in & use a sick day or vacation day, I would be annoyed but I wouldn't fire them.  When they came in to work, we would have a discussion and a warning would be given.  However, if an employee just decided not to show up for work, that show's a complete lack of responsibility, respect, and interest in the job and they would be fired. 
      February 20, 2017 7:53 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful and logical response Harry. I appreciate that you gave me the specific details of WHY you would do what you chose to do! I think how you would approach it is very fair. Happy Monday toy ou! :)
      February 20, 2017 11:24 AM MST

• It might depend on the employee's position and any difficulties occasioned by his absence.   The fact of having attended, or so claiming, a protest is not relevant.  It is no different than falsely calling in sick because one just needs a day off or wants to go to some entertainment or such.
      February 20, 2017 8:58 AM MST

You know what whistle? I have done that in my life. I did. I'm not proud of it but I did call in sick when I wasn't . In retrospect I don't know what was gained by doing that. I still feel GUILTY so I didn't really get away with anything. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      February 20, 2017 11:26 AM MST

• I suspect everyone has done this.  Sometimes one just needs a day off.  It is more acceptable to say, in a fake raspy voice, "I'm so sick."  than it is to say, "I'm depressed" or "It is a cool, rainy day.  A good day for a pot of tea and a book."  I never feel guilty. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 22, 2017 3:48 AM MST
      February 21, 2017 2:01 PM MST

Let me share with you what I did ONCE upon a tine. I called in and said my son was sick and I had no one to take care of him. Why I said that I don't know because he wasn't. You know what happened? In a couple of days he did get sick and I (who was guilty as he** for telling the lie) truly believe it was punishment. I know. Coincidence undoubtedly. But deep down I knew that was the wrong thing to say and I NEVER did that again. Sometimes I think the Universe automatically acts to balance things out. One way or another. Sooner or later. Keeps me in check whistle. I don't fib/lie/mislead any more and haven't for many decades. I learned my lesson. Better to just take the hit up front when you tell the truth and move on. It's easier on me! Thank you for your reply! :)
      February 22, 2017 3:52 AM MST

• I do not believe at all in cosmic punishment.  My preferred method to get an extra day off was to ask a coworker to take the shift and have that approved.   But there were times when the night before, just anticipating going in or in getting up tp prepare for going in I could not face doing so.  This job was so miserable it often broke me to tears in the dread of going in or being so over stressed when I arrived home.  I coud also not claim PTO at this job and once calculated that in the course of a yer I'd gven up about $1,000 in fake sick days.
      February 22, 2017 8:19 AM MST