Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Do you live by the saying, "you only live once"?

Do you live by the saying, "you only live once"?

There must be some things where you said, "f**k it" and then did something you didn't think you were capable of doing.

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

• Dear Zack,

You often asked penetrating Q's on Blurt and you do that here on aMug also...

For me, the answer to this one is prolly more along the lines of NO...rather, I tend to live like I was going to be coming back...and back again...until I get it "right"...

And by 'getting it right,' I think that has to do more with the way of love...looking deeper at what truly brings us happiness. I don't think happiness correlates with money, so I look also at a different related question to yours,
    "What is it that we can really take with us at our time of death?" This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 20, 2017 3:43 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 11:01 AM MST

Thank you Virginia.;-)
      February 20, 2017 11:10 AM MST

Hi Zack~ There are different theories on this statement.  It kind of goes with, "Never say Never."  I do believe it is wonderful to live in the moment.  If you take a lot of moments, it makes a lifetime.  People have difficulty predicting if the sky is going to fall or if they are going to win the lottery.  So, yes, I try to live in the "now."
    I also believe in the soul and the vessel we travel in.  I know, thank goodness, my vessel will go back to the Earth.  I'm glad I can give back to the planet that has provided me a lifetime.  My soul will go on and with it take the happiness and lessons I learned on my visit here.  
    I also believe in karma.  Karma is a wonderful thing. You can create your own paths.  I hope they are good ones for everyone I know and beyond.
      February 20, 2017 11:20 AM MST

• Only live once and might die tomorrow.
      February 20, 2017 11:05 AM MST

I think about that all of the time.
      February 20, 2017 11:11 AM MST

• Dying? 
      February 20, 2017 11:18 AM MST

Yes. Maybe that's why I get so depressed about it. To live your life, a person can't worry about death. It makes everything else meaningless. F**k death, but I wish I'd realized that earlier in my life.
      February 20, 2017 11:22 AM MST

• I follow.  I hear what you are saying that the fact we die can make it all seem meaningless.  Been there before. Personally I found comfort and acceptance in nihilist and existentialist thought on such matters.  The pointlessness of existence that was crushing in my youth has become liberating and freeing once I started seeing that in a different light.  I myself find the concepts of having grand purpose and afterlife to be infinitely more depressing. 

You seem like a smart guy capable of deep thought and with capacity for compassion.  There's a lot of people who don't have that to work with.
      February 20, 2017 11:30 AM MST

So you thought heaven would be depressing too? Same deal here.
      February 20, 2017 11:32 AM MST

• Yes.   I never been able to see any difference between the Abrahamic myths and being an indentured servant or slave. Not only are they absurd to me from a logical perspective, I never could understand how people find comfort in it.  I mean spending eternity as child doing as told?? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 20, 2017 11:57 AM MST
      February 20, 2017 11:42 AM MST

• I don't knock or judge you for it.  In fact I'm happy for you.  We all have our own path and if it makes people happy and compassionate individuals that try to do the right thing then I'm all for it.  Whatever method a person finds the truth of compassion and decency.

Only time I really deride someone's faith or lack-there-of is when they use it for hate.
      February 20, 2017 12:03 PM MST

Yes I do believe that. But I also believe that we should live each day as if it were our last because we never know it just might be.
      February 20, 2017 11:26 AM MST

I'd agree with the sentiment, but also add that it hardly matters. Yes, you can and should sometimes just "f**k it" and do it because when does it really count? We'll all die, and when we're dead we won't be alive to reflect on anything. What's the harm in a little sporadic fun? This post was edited by Standard Alien at February 20, 2017 4:07 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 11:40 AM MST

Such a cute and morbid visual. Haha!
      February 20, 2017 11:51 AM MST

• To a point. I live as though this life is the only one we'll have. That does NOT open the floodgates toward all manner of antisocial behaviour. On the other hand I don't shut myself in a closet and try to stay out of danger. Life is for living.

"One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name." -- Thomas Mordaunt
      February 20, 2017 3:52 PM MST