Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is it typical for Americans to think the worst president in history is the one in office?

Is it typical for Americans to think the worst president in history is the one in office?

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

Trump is hardly a typical person. I would say there are a large number of people who are unhappy with his administration and his lack of knowledge in many areas, including diplomacy. Furthermore, more people are becoming more disenchanted with things that affect them personally. 

As Trump continues with the promises people ignored or didn't care about, there will be more discontented people. 
      February 20, 2017 2:27 PM MST

The question is not just about Trump. Many people said Obama was the worst and Bush was the worst. They only say it when they are in office. Perhaps it is just short memories.
      February 20, 2017 2:38 PM MST

There were Americans that elected a land developer as POTUS. The voters are as dumb and unqualified as Chump is.
      February 20, 2017 2:32 PM MST

LOLOL
      February 20, 2017 2:58 PM MST

• I don't think so, not to this extent.. I have been *observing* lol I mean learning from Americans for several decades now and I haven't observed that yet.. Prez's have always been the butt of jokes but they are generally light-hearted and not sinister.. I think Obama was made fun of a lot and there were even times when he laughed along with them... I can't imagine Trump laughing at any jokes about him!  

I was around when Obama first came in.. I found that fascinating... people seemed happy to have him, there was a perception that he could literally walk on water and that he would *save* America from all the ills that it was suffering from...I have no objection to Obama at all but I did feel then that it was too much to expect, that it wouldn't be achievable on that scale expected of him... one man could not do all the things expected of him... seems I was right on that one but then again he has achieved improvements, even if the detractors claim otherwise... I think that the expectations were just too high and people too impatient.. look what they went for instead!

On the other hand... perhaps back then I was fortunate not to encounter so many of the *other* kind of American that we see now and that represent the typical Trump voter... so perhaps there was unease then too...however, I can tell you this.. the world respected America for having the first black pres, we all thought it was an enlightened step... and he spoke sanely and reasonably, regardless of whether you agree with what he said...  In any event tho there wasn't the level of division and dissent there is now... and in terms of world respect, the world looking up to America, is a retrograde step.

February 20, 2017 2:35 PM MST

You should say "America had it's first black President" ... after all, there were other nations that had democratically elected black Presidents before America.  (And then there's the claim that Bill Clinton was the first "black" President, when he was President.  LOL)
      February 20, 2017 2:53 PM MST

• Point taken @Walt.. I was replying in between trying to tackle some pretty heavy psychology concepts for my homework - coming here is my reward when I have written a sufficient amount of any one section. So yea perhaps I was a little lackadaisical there :)  
      February 20, 2017 2:57 PM MST

DBTD, yes, count yourself fortunate that you didn't encounter the "other" kind of Americans that you are seeing now.  I can assure you that people weren't generally light-hearted about Obama and there are many lacking enlightenment here.  There were those who were absolutely disgusting in the things they said, wrote, and displayed about Obama and his family.  The worst IMO were the effigies they would hang and burn.

I posted some photos as proof but I deleted them because they are just too offensive.

This post was edited by Harry at February 21, 2017 3:17 PM MST
      February 20, 2017 5:03 PM MST

It seems to me, it started during "Bush Jrs" Administration.

Though I've been saying for years - the government is at fault for encouraging divisiveness between people.  Always asking people to lump themselves into categories ... age, gender, ethnicity are mandatory questions upon hire so the EEOC can divide people into categories.  Same thing with college applications.  > You don't have to answer them, but nobody tells you that.

Then their "equality policies" attempt to make up for past discrimination by punishing people who had nothing to do with it.  Guess government is following the Old Testament saying about "the sins of the fathers being visited upon the sons" (or something like that).

When the REAL issue today is less the ethnicity of someone, and more their economic situation.  "The rich get richer" because they can afford better schools - and better education leads to better jobs, with higher pay.

February 20, 2017 6:08 PM MST

This isn't something that started with Bush Jrs Admin.  As far as we believe we've come as a nation regarding racism, we haven't.  There has always been an underlying current of hatred for those that are different.  It appears to me this divisiveness is coming to a head.  

I believe the economic issue you outline is an added and equally important issue to the various problems we are facing today.
      February 21, 2017 5:53 AM MST

I was referring to the vitriol ... as what seemed to have started during Bush Jrs Admin.  At least, I don't recall it being so widespread and "loud" in any administration prior to that, in the last 50 years.

And we have come far, in terms of racism.
    Though there is no way to totally eliminate discrimination ... at least, not without the ability to forcibly alter people's thoughts.  And I shudder at the thought of government having THAT ability.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at February 21, 2017 7:07 AM MST
      February 21, 2017 7:05 AM MST

I think the perceived increase in vitriol can be tied directly into the increased use of the internet.  We didn't hear what everyone and his brother had to say about every little thing that was on their minds.

We will have to agree to disagree regarding how far we've come in terms of racism.

February 21, 2017 8:48 AM MST

Perhaps you're too young, but you apparently don't remember the Nixon years. Nobody who remembers Nixon and Watergate would say that about Dubya.
      February 21, 2017 7:22 AM MST

• People are dramatic and they only think in terms of the present. According to "most people", the economy is constantly in a state of being about to collapse and unemployment is always super high. No one puts anything into context or looks at history. 
      February 20, 2017 2:44 PM MST

Aye, indeed.
      February 20, 2017 5:38 PM MST

I don't know ... I haven't met a "typical" American.

Personally, I've argued that Lincoln was the worst President in history.
      February 20, 2017 2:51 PM MST

"Personally, I've argued that Lincoln was the worst President in history."

On what basis?
      February 21, 2017 10:48 AM MST

Blatant disrespect of Constitutional Rights.
    You think Trump treats media bad?  Lincoln had newspapers that disagreed with him burned, and imprisoned editors.

Placing the "Union" above States, to the point of killing over.
    Remember, he didn't care about slavery as long as the "Union" was kept intact.
    Lincoln was content to let slavery exist - until saying the war was about slavery was the only way to keep Europe from helping the Confederacy.

February 21, 2017 1:19 PM MST

For the Americans that don't agree with whoever is currently in office, it is.  
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.” - John Lydgate

February 20, 2017 3:42 PM MST

definitely typical
    for some people

February 20, 2017 4:45 PM MST

Maybe we just have a short attention span or maybe people are just being overly dramatic as usual.
      February 20, 2017 7:47 PM MST

seems like it
      February 22, 2017 4:58 PM MST