Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Your BMF (that's a Best Mugger Friend) is flying in for a weekend visit...

Your BMF (that's a Best Mugger Friend) is flying in for a weekend visit...

Where would you want to take them? What features of your area would you like to share?

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

I grew up a half mile from this place. It is in effect a monument to my father, even though it is like a movie set.
    http://castledomemuseum.org/
      February 20, 2017 9:56 PM MST

• Very much like a movie set and well worth a visit. I love that line about being only one gunfight away from being a popular tourist destination. 

Thanks, Jewels. 
      February 20, 2017 10:02 PM MST

... So much to do ... so little time.

O.k. We definitely booked a morning flight. ;) Here we go. The drive is about an hour from the airport. Everything is about an hour from where I live.  I think we'll take the canyons.  The drive is absolutely breathtaking.  It is well worth it to be in mountains and have them surround you.  Definitely worth a picture or two.  When we drop back down to Pacific Coast Highway, we'll take a quick trip up to Pepperdine Campus.  Knowing his upbringing, he might want to take a peek at this beautiful campus. It's not a detour.  It is right off the highway.  That should take about 15 minutes, tops. Driving him through Malibu, you have to anyway to get to where he is staying,  I'd then take him to The Topanga Inn Bed And Breakfast.  There he has a fireplace in his room, a hot tub, a view of the Pacific Ocean,  a full breakfast and free WiFi (I have a feeling that might be important to him.  Little does he know he won't have any time to use it... but, he can think he does;))  He might like to dip his toes in the Pacific.  It is a bit cold comparatively to other oceans.  I think he still would like feel the sand between his toes, say hi to the seagulls, and smell the fresh ocean air.  I might give him a moment to collect his thoughts and take a breather before our next outing.  About an hour and 1/2 for this.  
    Then off we go to experience the "World's Worst Traffic!"  Yes.  I just learned this today on the news.  L.A. even has China beat with the worst traffic.  I must let him know how it feels to drive the 405.  There is no such thing as rush hour.  It is always a mess, but we need to take it to continue our adventures of great places to go while visiting my neck of the world.   La Brea Tar Pits Museum.  The Natural History Museum is right around the corner.  Since this is all in downtown L.A., we can see that too just by walking from one museum to another.   It sounds excessive; but, it really isn't that hard to do in a day. While we are there, it must be happy hour by now and off we go to Davey Waynes for a cocktail or Sassafras.  That should close your first day and evening out.  Off I would wisp him to his B & B where he could relax, have a hot tub,  enjoy the ocean view with the fireplace in his room and the ocean sound in the background, retiring to his comfy bed. 
    On our second day, I think I'd be a little easier on him.  I thought about going to Catalina. Off on a boat we go to see the town and island of Catalina. It's really a fun trip and you don't have to do so much walking.  It's dark by now and on our return to his B & B, we would drive up to Griffith Observatory.  Here he could see all the stars through one of the telescopes open to the public.  The Zeiss telescopes and more.  Quite a sight they are indeed.  Then,  sweet hugs and hopefully dreams off to bed he goes.
    On his departing day, we would go to a show at the Gromans Chinese Theater and walk the "Walk of Fame."  He could take pictures of all the stars.  We might even see one or two. And sense he would have a red-eye flight out, we would stay for a comedy show at Laugh-in.  Off to Burbank for him to catch his flight with love of hugs and happy tears, he would go with a ton of new stories to share with us at night. 
    Let's recap.  In 48 hours, he has driven the canyons, stayed at one of the best bed and breakfasts in Malibu, driven PCH,  seen the Pepperdine Campus, seen old town Malibu, touched his toes in the Pacific Ocean, driven the 405, been to the Tar Pits, seen downtown L.A., Gone to the world's best Natural History Museum, taken a hot tub, gone to Catalina, been to Griffith Park and seen the Observatory, walked the "Walk of Fame," seen a show at the famous Groman's Chinese Theater, and seen a comedy show at Laugh-in.  That would pretty much cover all I could put him through in a 48 period while still getting 8 hours of sleep each night.  PHEW!  Let's just hope there isn't any traffic during all of this! Giggles!
    This post was edited by Merlin at February 21, 2017 7:18 AM MST
      February 20, 2017 10:24 PM MST

• What an amazing tour you've given him, Merlin. You left out the bit about him sleeping all the way home on the airplane. :)
      February 20, 2017 11:15 PM MST

While he is sleeping on the plane, he might be formulating the words about his wonderful adventures with Merlin.  A clever ol' chap he is.  I'm sure there were very funny and dramatic antics that happened with he and  Merlin.  My enjoyment was giving him a wonderful adventure.  While he is sleeping on the plane, I'm sure he is formulating wonderful stories to tell. This post was edited by Merlin at February 21, 2017 1:26 PM MST
      February 21, 2017 1:21 PM MST

I would like to add, spouses are more than welcome on the 48 hour period.  Just because I happen to know one a little better than the other does not exclude them.  They are most definitely included without a doubt. :)) This post was edited by Merlin at February 21, 2017 1:27 PM MST
      February 21, 2017 1:24 PM MST

• You're a nice lady, Merlin, and a good friend. :)
      February 21, 2017 1:26 PM MST

Happy! Happy! (()) !! Always!
      February 21, 2017 1:28 PM MST

• I'd recommend my town, of course, but if they wanted to see the big city, we could see Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Hollywood or drive down to Palos Verdes ... an older, but elite part of L.A. Basin. The ocean views from the Palos Verdes cliffs are beautiful and there's the Crystal Church, in PV, that attracts many tourists. It would just depend on what they liked or wanted to see

February 20, 2017 10:25 PM MST

Hi ALF~   I think I'd rather come and visit you than come and visit me!!  Huge smiles.  
      February 20, 2017 10:34 PM MST

• Considering your answer to the question, there probably isn't a lot I could show you about the area, but we could do lunch at Fisherman's Village and watch the rich people play with their toys. :)
      February 20, 2017 10:55 PM MST

• I think your town would be perfect Alf.  After all, he's seen Overtown (and Catalina) with Merlin. :)
      February 20, 2017 11:16 PM MST

• By the way, Didge. The Palos Verdes cliffs are a popular place for hang glider pilots.
      February 21, 2017 4:08 AM MST

• Seaside cliffs are always popular, Alf. The air is much less turbulent than inland. Well, most of the time...
      February 21, 2017 11:44 AM MST

Also The Redondo Pier and Ports O' Call are great places to take our out of town friends.

via GIPHY

February 21, 2017 3:10 PM MST

Umm I know no one so well here, I spend little time here and well...;))
      February 20, 2017 10:54 PM MST

• If I ask the same question this time next year I'll bet you'll be able to name at least half a dozen people you could show around your town. :)
      February 20, 2017 11:17 PM MST

• I would take him to as many villages as he wants to go to, so he can see the wizards and apple-cheeked women. He understands. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 21, 2017 11:45 AM MST
      February 21, 2017 2:30 AM MST

• Sounds enchanting. :)
      February 21, 2017 11:45 AM MST

• I take him to the Landmark Tavern here in Tenino....that'll fix 'im up...
    Constructed 1908, while the sandstone quarry was still going strong...impressive, you all can come along with us!

February 21, 2017 3:18 AM MST

• Don't forget to stop by the town hall. You clearly have some nice buildings in Tenino.
      February 21, 2017 11:46 AM MST

Since any mugger who might my BMF wouldn't be a shopaholic, that rules out the only major tourist attraction near me, the Mall of America. However, if the visit is at the right time of year we could easily spend a couple days at the Minnesota State Fair, which has the largest daily attendance of any state fair in America.  Lots to do, eat and experience.

February 21, 2017 6:38 AM MST

• A youngster like yourself wouldn't remember it but there was a movie (in the 1940s, I think) called State Fair. It was a musical but, even as a kid, it had a lot of magic for me. Your answer took me right back there.
      February 21, 2017 11:48 AM MST

• it would have to be Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco! It's a blast! 
      February 21, 2017 7:49 AM MST