Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Queen Elizabeth is visiting your house for lunch. What would you feed her? What drinks would you serve?

Queen Elizabeth is visiting your house for lunch. What would you feed her? What drinks would you serve?

Posted - February 20, 2017

Responses

Yup. Gimme a call a day ahead..
      February 21, 2017 1:29 AM MST

• Whatever I'm eating and she should be bloody grateful.
    If (if) I condescended and offered queenie something quintessential, you know, to remind her that there are people over whom she looms that don't have a choice of 36 courses on a regular basis, it would be kebab and chips which she can throw up on the pavement later, like everyone else.
    Republican rant over. :)
      February 21, 2017 12:43 AM MST

• As a mere colonial I feel I should stand and applaud, but as the proposer of this question it would probably be more appropriate if I sang a verse of God Save the Queen. 
      February 21, 2017 12:53 AM MST

• Mere colonial? What do you mean. How you lot still validate the monarchy is a mystery so I'll be happier with the applause.
      February 21, 2017 1:12 AM MST

• We had a referendum about 1997 to declare a republic but the government linked it to another topic (I forget what it was) and we had to vote to pass both or neither. It was blatant dishonesty and I don't know how they got away with it.

Our prime minister in the 1960s wanted to name our decimal currency Royals and Crowns. Our recent prime minister, Tony Abbott, not only reintroduced QB and NY honours but nominated Prince Phillip to be made an Australian knight.

You wouldn't believe how many royalist sycophants we've had among our conservatives.

Now we've hit another snag. The young royals are very popular with young Australians, so we're unlikely to get a republic in my lifetime but it should certainly come sometime in the next 50 years. Maybe Scotland will inspire us. 
      February 21, 2017 2:30 AM MST

It's an odd thing. Australia has clearly been a completely independent country for the greater part of 100 years. It does not need any connection to the British Monarchy (or indeed Great Britain) to succeed.

But...

I remember when the UK first joined the European "Common Market". People from Australia. Canada and New Zealand, who had (up until then) just waltzed through the immigration queues at UK points of entry, were suddenly just "foreigners".
    So we Brits, ever diplomatic, sent Duncan Sandys (google if necessary) to explain why we were abandoning years of international co-operation (and cricketing rivalry) in favour of people who hated us and ate sausages and snails legs.

It wasn't a success.

I also remember as a kid cheering British Success in sporting endeavours, but also applauding Aussies and Kiwis, "Cos they were just Brits really, just living in the wrong place.

I'll shut up now.....

February 21, 2017 2:15 PM MST

• We're a "self-governing dominion" and, as such, are 100% autonomous. Well, 90%, anyway. 
    Back in 1974 the Governor General, acting on behalf of the Crown, sacked an elected Australian government to open the doors for his conservative cronies (misnamed the Liberal Party) to take over. From that point I was a staunch republican. 

But your reference to German sausage came up the other day when somebody started a discussion on food we preferred not to eat. I opted for German sausage and pointed out that while the best of the wurst was pretty good, the worst of the wurst was unpalatable.

February 21, 2017 2:22 PM MST

I remember the GGs intervention, even from here it looked like a bad mistake (and I'm sure that (whilst she must have been consulted) Betty probably wished that it had never happened.

Did not the GG intervene at the request of local politicians? (It's not a trick question, I cannot remember).
      February 21, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• Yes he did. Labor prime minisger Gough Whitlam was sacked at the behest of Liberal leader Malcolm Fraser by GG John Kerr. Whitlam labelled Fraser "Kerr's cur." 

But Fraser had another claim to fame. He literally lost his trousers in an American (Las Vegas, I think) bordello. That was cause for much merriment in the local press.

And now, since I have nobody else to co-opts for the job) I'm gonna sign off and cut the grass. Thanks for the response. 
      February 21, 2017 2:33 PM MST

• I don't think she offers 36 courses and I've heard that dessert is usually fruit.I've heard the royals eat rather plain food unless it's a state banquet.              
      February 21, 2017 10:23 PM MST

give her pretzels and beer.
      February 21, 2017 1:02 AM MST

• Should we give her a glass with her beer or does she drink it out of the can like everybody else?
      February 21, 2017 2:31 AM MST

she typically drinks out of one of these

Image result for beer funnel party This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at February 21, 2017 4:56 PM MST
      February 21, 2017 1:54 PM MST

• You just never know about those royals...
      February 21, 2017 1:56 PM MST

• Joe just showed up, so we have another hose?
      February 21, 2017 2:15 PM MST

why yes, hose for everyone ;D 
      February 21, 2017 9:20 PM MST

LMBO!
      February 21, 2017 2:17 PM MST

• I read once that Her Majesty likes fried potatoes...well so do I...so that's it, plus some champagne.

Oh, and since Bess II is coming to my house now for the fried potatoes, then just to save everybody else here the disappointment ima commin' to your-all houses for lunch in her stead...so do get out the best linen...
      February 21, 2017 3:09 AM MST

• Best linen guaranteed for the queen of Q&A, Virginia. 
      February 21, 2017 11:59 AM MST

• Beans and cornbread with ramps! She'd be farting onions! Lol!
      February 21, 2017 5:54 AM MST

• You have no idea how much I laughed at that. Nearly choked trying to keep the noise down (the Didgina is still asleep). You've painted a picture that's gonna have me smirking for hours.
      February 21, 2017 12:00 PM MST

• Just a WV staple!
      February 21, 2017 4:54 PM MST

Maybe a root beer and some spray cheese. Welcome to America, Your Majesty!

February 21, 2017 6:25 AM MST

• I'm sure she'll be charmed. :) 
      February 21, 2017 12:00 PM MST

• Tea and crumpets and have the cinnamon out.
      February 21, 2017 8:09 AM MST